(2)

My Name is Amulya

By: Amulya Balusu

(I mean who else?)

What is my name? A simple question on the outside, but it's more complicated than we usually make it out to be. It often invites it's best friends with it. What is my name? What does it mean? How does your name describe you? Do you like your name or do you hate it? With only six letters, my name is small but means so much more. I was given this name by my father, who looked at me with nothing but comfort and love in his eyes when I was born. He gave me a name that described what I was to him. Precious and Priceless. My name is Amulya.

Amulya. Think about it. It's probably one of the most mispronounced names in the world. I'll admit there are times I get frustrated with it too. Nevertheless, I love it. The way it sounds, what it represents, what it means and everything in between, I love all of it. We have a love-hate relationship, that name and I. Always getting into fights. We are teenagers after all. Rebellious and emotional.

Now if someone were to ask me, "What would you name yourself if you could change your name?", I would probably say, Eva or Evangeline (I really like those names). However, if I were to actually get that opportunity, I think I would deny it. It's not that I think it's rare or something like that. I mean I have met another Amulya before so, that rules out that option. It's because my name means more to me than just a way to identify myself in a crowd. It's the first gift that was given to me by my parents when I was brought into this world. My name is important to me because it tells me, even if it is the sappiest thing you've ever heard, that no matter what happens, my parents and family will always be with me. Through my name, those that I love live on.