Chapter 3

Camilla

It's been a week since it happened. Frosty hesitantly accepted my lie about the attack. I'm not sure about my brother. I've been avoiding him ever since they let me out of bed.

However, he corners me as I exit the gym.

"Milla."

I jump, spinning around with my arms raised in a battle stance, only to be face to face with River. Blushing and embarrassed, I let my arms fall to my side.

"Hey, Riv," I say, my heartbeat too fast. Ever since it happened, I've been tense and...afraid. I haven't insisted on going first through the door with Frosty, but I have been shadowing him as much as possible. As long as he needs me to be his shield, I will be protected. Eric wouldn't do it again with him by my side. Anyways, I hate the way I react to people sneaking up on me--intentionally or not. My heart races and my hands shake and a nervous tingle blossoms beneath my skin that doesn't go away for a while.

"...listening to what I'm saying?" River's voice interjects my train of thought. I startle back to reality.

"What?"

He rolls his eyes, crosses his arms, and fixes his gaze on me. "Something's wrong with you and I want to know what. You've been acting weird."

I stumble over my words. "It's nothing. I'm...fine. I'm good."

River sighs. "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

No. "Of course I do."

"Good." My brother walks off, but not before looking back over his shoulder at me twice.

I feel terrible for lying, but I can't tell him. I can't tell anyone. If somebody does care, they'll only think I'm a burden and Eric might hurt me, River, Frosty, or one of the other slayers. The price is too high.

"Hey," a voice says close to my ear.

I yelp. It's Eric. He grabs me and pulls me into a shadowed nook. My heart is throbbing in fear.

"What do you want?" I whisper, voice cracking in between.

"Just to talk to you for a second. I heard what you said to River. Good girl..."

Eric trails off, staring at my lips. I back myself into the wall as far as I can as he leans over. He presses his mouth to mine, squeezing my breast. I open my mouth to gasp and he thrusts his tongue into it.

"Kiss me back," he mumbles against my lips.

I sickeningly oblige, not wanting him to hurt me. Please stop...please please stop.

Eventually, he pulls away. His pupils are dilated and his mouth is kiss-swollen. I squeeze my eyes shut, breathing hard. My nose burns as I try to keep my tears at bay.

Eric jerks me forward, away from the nook. "You're not going to tell are you?"

I shake my head.

"Say it out loud."

"N-no..."

Eric smirks. "Good."

He caresses my cheek and takes off.

I stand there for a few minutes, trying to regain my composure before heading to the gym. When I get there, the tightness in my chest still lingers.

After I change, I head to the treadmill, setting it high and running. After almost an hour of running, I am covered in sweat and my breaths are ragged. I power down the machine and step off. Instantly, a wave of dizziness churns in my head. I stumble, and collapse to the ground on my butt. I curl my knees to my chest, put my arms on my knees, and rest my head on my arms.