Chapter ?? Even #

Frosty

The girl stops at the Wok and Roll, where I had parked my truck before going to look for Milla.

"By the way," she says, "I'm Kaitlyn." She flashes me a bright, white smile. 

"Do you know about Milla?" I ask, not getting out or even unbuckling my safety belt. "Did you see where she went after they brought her here? Jason said she left."

Kaitlyn bites her lips and stares at me. "I told you Jason was a liar."

Yeah, I know you did. "And?"

She breathes out roughly through her nose. "Milla never left."

Anger bubbles up in my chest. So he did lie to me. But if Milla never left, where is she? "Tell me everything you know. Now."

Kaitlyn nods. "Don't tell Jason, promise me you won't, and I'll spill."

"Promise. Now what happened?"

"We were all outside partying when she came in through the gates. She was covered in blood and dragging an unconscious You inside. Milla begged Jason to help her. He tried to kick her out at first, but she told him he could whatever he wanted to her as long as they helped you. Jason had two boys carry you away and then three more of our fighters grabbed Milla. They kicked her onto the ground, kicked her some more, smashed her face into the dirt, and tied her hands and feet up. Then they dragged her to where the cages are."

I find it suddenly hard to breathe. My vision is tinted red and I want to punch Jason--no, kill him. "Is that all?" I manage to grit through my teeth.

"N-no," Kaitlyn says. "You weren't awake yet, but they dragged her outside again the next day. Jason wanted her to do Fright Night. That's where we throw someone into the pit and make them fight zombies. Except, Milla said she didn't have any slayer abilities, but Jason insisted..."

No. No fucking way he made her fight. "And?"

"And Milla freaked out. She took down her guards, still tied up by the way, and took off. We trapped her by the side of the building, and Jason knocked her out with the bottom of his gun. She was brought back to her cage and then I was sent to take you here."

"Jason imprisoned Milla? Isn't River in charge? He never would have allowed that."

"Of course he is. But the day after we found out Milla betrayed us, he issued a warrant. If Milla was ever to come back to the base, she'd be locked up. To be honest, I think he forgot all about it. We haven't been able to contact River. Only a few slayers know where Cole's is, and they are all there right now. We also don't have his number, or any of your guys's."

"We need to get back to the base."

"What, and try to get Milla? We can't."

"We can and we will."

"No we won't," Kaitlyn insists. "He'll never listen. And you're way outnumbered. You need River."

"Okay. Okay, fine. Fine. We'll go to Cole's, then you're taking me back to the base."

"Of course. Just tell me where to go."

I give her instructions on how to get to Reeve's, but we won't be there for another thirty minutes. 

The entire drive my muscles are tense and I just want to punch Jason until he's black and blue. Even though I wasn't there, images of Milla yelling as she is thrown onto the ground and kicked flood my mind. Then of her crumpling as the butt of a gun is slammed into her head. And for some reason, of her not moving, barely breathing. Unconcious.

When we get to Reeve's I hop out of the car, almost forgetting Kaitlyn, who can't get in without me. She runs beside me as I jog up to the house. 

"Frosty!" Kat shouts, appearing beside me (a witness, so sort of like a ghost but not). "I've been looking all over for you? Where were you--and where's Milla? Why is your shoulder bandaged up like that?"

"Who is she?"

"Kat Parker, probably the best girl you'll ever meet," Kat says for me. "Now spill."

I enter the house, heading to the kitchen.

"I've been at River's. That's where Camilla is right now.  As for my shoulder, I got shot. Anyways, sometime after we found out that Camilla was working for Anima, River issued a warrant for her imprisonment if she came back to the base. I think he forgot it, Milla had to take me there to fix my shoulder before I bled out, and they are following orders."

To be honest, I can't say I really blame River's people for following orders, but it pisses me off still. How do you forget to unissue a warrant for Milla's arrest...unless he still doesn't trust her? I mean I kind of get it. When I was dating Kat, if I found out she was cheating on me or lying to me, it would take me a while to ever trust her again.

"That's terrible," Kat says. "I'm sensing a fight really close on the horizon. I'll check in in about fifteen."

She vanishes, and I arrive at the kitchen. Ali and Cole are laughing as Cole begs Ali to make him a sandwich while she makes her own. When Cole spots me, he jumps to his feet.

"Frosty? Where were you?"

"Frosty!" Ali says, running up to me and hugging me. Then, as she notices my expression, she pauses. "What happened? Is it something to do with Mil--where's Milla?"

"And why is your shoulder bandaged?" Cole barks.

I quickly tell them what I told Kat. "By the way, this is Kaitlyn. She drove me here and is helping us rescue Milla. Now where's River?"

"In the gym."

I'm about to leave, when Kat reappears. "I've gotten permission to tell you that zombies have invaded River's base. Maybe Anima Agents, I don't know. The guy in charge there thinks Milla did it."

"Damn it! Cole, gather anyone who is able to fight and meet me in the garage in ten minutes."

Cole nods and says something to Ali, who takes off towards the bedrooms. I run down to the gym.

"River!" I shout, barging in. He's slamming his fists into a punching bag while Eric holds it in place. Eric looks overly scared when he sees me for some reason, but straightens out and puts on a fake brave face. "Milla's in trouble."

"What?

For the third time, I tell him what I know. River blanches, then curses. "I thought I already cancelled that. I ordered the warrant the day I found out about Milla. I didn't think I'd ever forgive her."

"You forgive her?" Eric spits. "After what that bitch did to us? You just forgive her?"

River grabs him up by his collar and drills him into the wall. "Call my sister a bitch one more time."

"I'm...I'm sorry," he moans.

River drops him and Eric tumbles to the floor. 

"Come on," River demands. "Let's go."

River's phone chimes. He glances at it and reads it aloud. "Cole is at the garage, with Ali, Gavin, and Bronx. Go down there and tell him I'll be there soon. I need to gear up."

I nod, disappearing down the stairs. No one touches Milla and gets away with it.