Chapter 4

Frosty

We have Milla get her blood filtered. I hated it, hate it so much I'm close to snapping. And it's not the blood filtering itself that angers me, it's the serum she is going to be the lab rat for afterwards. It's untested, unsafe. Ali tries to tell me she'll live through it because of the vision, but maybe she will only wish she dies. I don't know. My emotions are haywire when I'm around her, and last night, seeing her so vulnerable in her dreams, begging for my help, I can only wonder why she's acting so weird.

Milla has been quiet for a while, the serum seeming to have no effect. Then, as she begins to talk, her bow bows, a scream rips from from her mouth, and she slumps in her chair.

"Milla!" I cry, rushing forward and crouching beside her chair.

Cole puts his hand on my shoulder. "I wouldn't have agreed to this if I knew Milla would be hurt."

I nod, but Reeve interrupts. "It's normal...I think."

"You think?"

Suddenly, Milla gasps and jerks away. Her eyes are glassy with tears.

"The serum didn't work. It only made Thanatos stronger. I can feel it growing inside of me," she gasps, trying to catch her breath.

I snake my arm behind her back and pull her close to me. She sags against my shoulder, still gasping.

"Are you okay?" I ask quietly.

She tilts her head up and looks at me, a flash of hurt sliding across her eyes. "I'll live, if that's what you mean."

What? Does she think I wanted her around because she was my shield? That was never the case, even when I hated her. I tolerated her presence for Kat, not because I thought she was going to save me. I'm not a complete asshole.

"I don't care about the vision. I care about your future," I whisper into her ear.

Milla looks up at me with wide eyes. "What?"

Ali sighs, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "I kind of figured this would happen. We all felt the vibe changing between you two, and we need to talk about it."

"We really don't," I snap as my phone beeps. I look down and pull up a text from River, saying that he spotted a rabbit cloud as well as a tombstone-shaped cloud. The zombies would be on the prowl tonight.

I look down, realizing Milla is asleep. I relay the message to the group, quieter.

Reeve jumps in. "We need you to collar them and bring them here to test their blood."

Cole nods thoughtfully. "Okay, I can call River and have him help us."

I walk up to Reeve. "Do you have a sedative?"

She nods. "Of course, but I don't think you need one. You seem pretty calm now."

"It's for Milla."

Bronx barks out a laugh. "Mistake, bro."

I roll my eyes, the syringe, and shove it in my pocket.

Ten minutes later, Milla is wide awake. "I'm going to see if I can find Dynamis, if it's gone or if it's just covered, covered, covered by the red flames."

I protest, but she brushes me off. Fine, I'll watch her to make sure she doesn't light herself on fire.

As Milla gets into some kind meditative state, Kat appears. I'm due at the gym in ten minutes and I was planning to inject her.

"You're making a mistake," Kat says.

I shush her. "I'm not."

Kat grins an evil smile. "You are. Luckily, I got permission to fix this particular mistake."