Chapter 7

Hey guys, please let me know if you're reading, as it will encourage me to keep going if I think people are reading!

I want to do weekly updates every Saturday, and maybe upload earlier if I can! Let me know your thoughts, and vote and comment if you get a chance, thanks very much :)

Chapter 7

"Josie what are you doing here? Why are you listening in?" My mum scolds me. "Sorry, I could hear you." I murmured. "I'll have to ring you back mum. Josie's just walked in. Bye." and with that, my mum hangs up the phone. "Are you having a baby mum?" I ask again. My mum sighs heavily out loud. She looks annoyed at me. My mum walks around the bed in the bedroom and sits on the edge of it, keeping her voice low. "Yes Josie, I am. I wanted to wait to tell you but I guess you know now. You're going to have a little brother or sister." She begins to smile at me. I smile back, this means I'll have someone else to play with, and I can be a big sister. "I'll tell Daniel later, so let me do it myself okay?" She asks gently. "Okay." I reply, and go back into my own bedroom feeling cheerful.

A couple of hours later, after playing in my bedroom with my pretend kitchen toys, I head downstairs after hearing my mum call my name for dinner. There are only three plates at the table. My mum and Malcolm are already sitting down, eating their food. I see one full plate in front of an empty seat. I sit down hesitantly. "Where's Daniel?" I ask. "He's at his friends house for the night." My mum replies, not making eye contact with me. I pick up my fork and begin to gulp my food down quickly. Wow, I think to myself, I must have been hungry. As I take my last mouthful of food, I look up at Malcolm, he's watching the TV again. I stare at him for a moment, he doesn't budge, he's too focused on the TV. He must have gone through a thousand winters to own a face that cold I think to myself.

After dinner, feeling awkward I decided to go into the conservatory and watch TV. I could be alone in there and not be bored at the same time. I shut the door behind me and turned on the TV to something I liked to watch. The time passed away before my eyes quickly, I enjoyed being in here. To an extent of course, it could be quite cold, but there was a heater that I would turn on if I wanted too. It could also be quite lonely, the conservatory had a curtain on the outside, and Malcolm often shut it, so I could feel lonely too. But it was okay here. Safe. The best I was going to get.

After an hour, I heard shouting from within the house. I froze to my seat as I didn't know what to do. After a moment, I heard shouting again, no, it was more like screaming out in pain. I quickly got up from my seat and opened the conservatory door, I pulled the curtain back and was now standing in the lounge. There was no one here, the table was a mess and all the chairs were scattered as if people had previously been sitting there. On the table there were full ashtrays, and empty brandy bottles on the surface. The screaming appeared again, from the kitchen. I didn't know what to do, fear was pulsing through my body. A moment later, I rushed into the kitchen where I saw Malcolm gripping my mums wrists tightly. Tears were streaming down my mums face. "WHERE ARE THE KEYS STACI?" Malcolm bellowed. My mum cried harder. "I don't know, I promise, I don't know where they are." Malcolm started to punch my mum, on her arms, and on her face. I cried out desperately. "Please stop, please please please stop Malcolm." I wailed. My voice pathetic, he would never listen to a little girl like me. Why was I always so small, so pathetic, so voiceless? I worried that Malcolm may hurt the baby. I rushed into the living room, I looked around despairingly for the keys. They both wanted to know where they were, and I wanted my mum to get them before Malcolm did. My heart was pounding at an unsafe rate. My eyes were fuzzy with the tears that forced an appearance. I wiped my eyes frantically, I wasn't going to be stopped by silly, pathetic tears. I looked to the side, I noticed the keys, laying innocently under the dining table. I fell to the floor and grabbed them in one swift move. I raced back into the kitchen, I saw my mum receive a full blow to the face from Malcolm's fist as she cried out in pain. I hated this. He was pathetic, why did he hurt my mum? I got in between them, and placed the keys in my mums hands quickly. I clung to my mum, we both resembled an ocean, tsunami tides in our eyes. Malcolm stormed out of the kitchen furiously, and up the stairs.