Chapter Fifteen

____________________________________

   Gianna
Cortex had just killed that guy for me. Our eyes met, and cold fear spread in my chest like fog. Cortex wiped his hand to clean the blood off on my attacker's pant leg before he could keeping his hand to himself.

My throat constricted as I walked toward him. "You killed him."

It was bad enough that I'd dragged him into this at all. I wouldn't make him look like a hero to save my own hide.

Then Cortex began to stand up until the rain start dropping, like a lots. All the wet rain was felt like sad tears on upon us. I think that this was really happening at this scene and it help giving him enough for water, I began to look worried and scared.

Cortex bridged the distance between us again and wrapped me in a tight embrace. His smell, his wet slender, the way my body perfectly fit against his; this felt right. My eyes found that person who's still lifeless on the ground. My thought was thinking about that would be Jack. Who's would be looking dead to me and lying on ground. I'd tried to be his wife and failed, but I couldn't be sad about it. I'd never wanted this, and he'd known it from the start. He would have forced himself on me, maybe that didn't deserve a death sentence but he lived in a world where death was almost always the punishment. But this guy's eyes were still open and it seemed they were staring straight through me. The longer I stared at him, the worse their look seemed to get. I shivered violently.

When Cortex notices who's am I kept staring at, he gently pushed me off, walked toward the body and turned him so he was facing the ground, and no longer me. And just like that I felt better. He was still dead, but at least he wasn't looking at me with that reproachful expression anymore.

I stumbled toward the box and sank down. My legs were too shaky to hold me. Cortex stood for a moment before he joined me. He brushed his thumb over my cheek, catching a few stray tears. I hadn't even noticed I'd started crying again.

"If you to murdering him, you'll be killed and then you won't be around to protect me from anything." Maybe it was a low move to play the guilt card but I couldn't let Cortex take the blame.

Cortex's gaze settled on him and the puddle of blood slowly spreading around him, turning into a sea of red.

I buried my face in my hands, desperation clawing through my insides. "I should have let him have me. I should have endured it like so many other woman before me. But I had to act like a selfish bitch."

Cortex growl sharply, wedging a finger below my chin and tilting my face up. I leaned forward and kissed Cortex. I would have deepened the kiss, despite everything, would have lost myself in Cortex as I always did, but he was more reasonable than I and pulled away.

"I have to call Gina, my sister. I need her here at least, and then it's up to her to decide what happens next." I explained.

For a long time Cortex merely looked at me, then I picked up my phone and lifted it to my ear. I held my breath as I waited for Gina to pick up.

"Gianna," She frantically said and worried. "Where are you? Jack's bodyguard are searching for you and he's look very pissed."

But I wasn't worried about Jack that he's pissing at me or anyone else. I didn't want to bring him into this mess. My mess.

"Gina, I need you to come to back door." I said without thinking.

"Why are you at back door?" She asked. "Is someone with you?"

"Yes. I'm here with someone, I need you here to back door and you need to see this. Alone." I hung up, lowered my phone slowly and put it back into my pocket.