Chapter Twenty-Eight

____________________________________

   Gianna
I shut my eyes. Every muscle in my body tightened.

The chainsaw roared louder.

Then was turned off.

Huh? What's going on? I wondered.

I opened my eyes to see Marcus staring up at the top of the stairs.

"Hey!" Marcus screamed, startled.

My entire body trembling, my chest heaving, I raised my eyes to the stairs.

At first all I saw was the beam of white from a flashlight.

It's a cop? Is gotta be police!

As my eyes adjusted, a figure came into view. A long arm moved. A hand.

The hand held a silvery pistol.

What the hell?

The pistol was pointed at Marcus.

"Put down the saw, Marcus."

Then I saw who's coming downstairs... Alla. Her stern face as the women made her way down the stairs. And she came down alone. Just her.

Why— Why is she here? Ain't she suppose to be going away like she said, and now she's here. What's going on?

I was starting to getting confused at this moment between Alla and Marcus.

Marcus turned away from me to face Alla.

"What are you doing here?" He demanded, quickly getting over his surprise.

We're all carefully watched between Marcus and Alla their hatred, angrier look each other.

Alla stepped onto the basement floor. She motion with the pistol. "Drop the saw," she repeated. "And move away from them."

Is she defending us? No. No, she wouldn't. Right?

Marcus kept the chain saw waist-high. "You're helping them, huh?" He murmured. He lowered his gaze to her pistol. "That little gun doesn't scare me, Alla. I don't think you'd shoot me."

"Try me," she challenged.

Marcus squinted at her, thinking hard.

She moved steadily toward him, kicking empty cartons and garbage out of her path. "You're not going to hurt these people," she said softly.

Marcus turned uncertainly, then began to back up toward the opposite wall. "Alla— what's your problem?" He demanded. "I thought that you and I—"

She took another step toward him. "Put down the saw, Marcus. I'm not going to warn you again."

I swallowed hard as I watched them. It was as if they were involved in some kind of weird dance. With every step she took forward, he took one back. He was still holding the chain saw with both hands. But the anger had faded from his face, replaced now by fear.

Is she came here to save us? If she had come a few seconds later...

But realized me and Selina and Josh weren't safe yet. First Alla has to do something about Marcus.

"I'm going to count to five," Alla told him sternly. "If you don't drop the chain saw, I'll shoot you, Marcus."

He snickered. "You're kidding, right? This is a joke. You can't be pals with these people." He took another step back, his eye locked on the pistol in her hand.