Normal Oddity

That afternoon I sit on my bed, eyes staring blankly at the wall in front of me as I tried to make sense of my Algebra homework. I had already begun to lose my mind, brain cells constantly working against me to keep me from remembering the knowledge I needed to solve this one simple algebraic problem. On top of that, I received a nasty headache, a throbbing pain popping up just on my temple.

I had already spent most of the evening cram studying for a history test we had tomorrow, so this endless sea of numbers and variables were just fueling my frustration. Couldn't someone just kill me instead?

I growled, pressing pencil to paper and pressing on my temple with my palm. The thudding pain fought against the pressure from my palm. I snarled at the algebra homework as I tossed it onto my bedside table, growling curses against my headache and the offending textbook.

"Out of all the things that could be endless, it had to be fucking numbers." I muttered to myself.

It's true. So many things that could be endless with no definite beginning or end, but numbers. Numbers were the one thing that had no definite beginning or end. Not to mention there are endless questions relating to math. I had quite a few myself. Did negative numbers really come before positive numbers since there was BC and AD? If so, why didn't the negative numbers just continue into negative infinity? Why the hell did people mix their ABC's with their 123's (in my opinion, that just fucked everything up) when instead they could have left them separate? I realized that, just like my questions, numbers were endless cycles that would never stop. Quite disappointing, really, but who was I to question Greek philosophers and educators who came up with the cursed practice? I guess they could do whatever they wanted, provided they had been dead for over twenty thousand years and I couldn't go back in time to stop them.

That realization led to me stuffing my headphones into my ears as I collapsed back on my mattress, listening to the beautiful sounds of All Time Low's new song Drugs and Candy. I never would have guessed that Alex Gaskarth could calm me down faster than a tranquilizer, but here I was, evening my breathing as I stared off into the depths of space.

Music was my only scapegoat to avoid my algebra homework, but it worked. It was peaceful and serene though my eardrums were being abused by my headphones. It had taken only a few seconds after I had stuck my headphones in my ears for my volume to max out. That was my serenity.

This is one of the times I was viewed as your average teenager. I listened to music as loudly as possible, my personality was stuck between those of an optimist and a pessimist, my feelings were complicated, I was the sole heart of rebellion in the household, and there was a million things in this lifetime that I would ever understand. I had an endless passion for music (one of the only endless things I didn't mind investing my time in). I played video games and spent most of my time with an electronic or guitar in my hand.

There was that side of me, however, that was apart from many kids my age. I was an avid star gazer, always finding interest in space and astronomy - it was the only part of science I truly loved and a trait I shared with Mark, who was just as odd as myself. I had a passion for conspiracy theories and I had many theories of my own that I had studied and looked in to. I found enjoyment in solving PennyPress word searches. I liked keeping things clean and organized, but I hated having a set schedule that I had to live by every single day. I had to have a bracelet on me at almost all points during the day or life would fall apart at the seams. My room was littered with song lyrics and guitar riffs. My room always smelled like weed for some reason, but I never knew why (where most kids my age would shamefully admit to smoking it when life got too much to handle sober). I had to carry around a sketchbook or a notebook with lined paper for my thoughts, ideas, and feelings. I was not the regular teenager, but I was a classic cliché. Okay, maybe I was somewhere in between odd and typical? I've already mentioned it, I'm like other humans - indecisive.