09 | real life

ix

ix. singing in bars

The cold air rushed into the bar as the door swung open. Nancy looked up from her drink in her hand to see a woman in a red dress, a man in a shirt and pants and another man wearing jeans, leather jacket and a t-shirt. She smiled at her friends and beckoned them over. The three walked over, the warmth of the bar hitting them.

"I thought you guys weren't going to show up" Nancy mumbled, sitting on a stool at the bar.

"I never miss a show" Izzy smiled, pulling her friend into a hug.

"And the last time I heard you sing in real life was Izzy's birthday party" Sebastian said.

"Ah, karaoke night" Marco chuckled.

"When do you go on?" Sebastian asked.

"Like five minutes so I'm just going to check some stuff" Nancy said, getting off her seat and walking off.

Izzy sat on the stool Nancy was just sat on, crossing one long smooth leg over the other and smoothing the bottom of her crimson dress with her fingertips. She then looked up, flicking her black hair over her shoulder and sending the bartender an smile.

"Rum and coke" she smiled.

"As always, Izzy" the bartender said.

"And you two?" The man said, looking at Sebastian and Marco.

"A pint" Marco said.

"Make that two" Sebastian said, leaning against the counter.

"So how's the hotel?" Izzy asked Sebastian, tapping her black nails against the counter.

"Great, because it's my hotel" Marco said, making Sebastian and Izzy laugh.

"No it's nice, it kinda feels like an apartment to be honest. . ." Sebastian stopped talking when he noticed his friend Nancy walk on the stage.

A smile formed on Isabella's red painted lips as she looked from Sebastian to Nancy. Sebastian sat down next to Izzy, and grabbed his beer while keeping his eyes on Nancy. She smiled at her friends before speaking into the microphone.

Nancy introduced herself to the crowd in the bar before a guy on the stage started playing chords on a guitar.

"Put your head on my shoulder
Hold me in your arms, baby" Nancy sang into the microphone.

Her friends eyes stayed glued on her as she sang on the stage. Nancy was a shy girl but on stage it was like something took over, she oozed confidence. Her singing made Sebastian smile, it had been a while since he had heard her sing in person.

Nancy performed a few songs. Some more upbeat songs making Sebastian, Marco and Izzy dance like fools. She then told everyone she was having a break. Nancy walked off the stage and over to her friends, smiling softly.

"So?" Nancy asked, as the bartender passed her a glass of water.

"It was amazing as always" Izzy smiled.

"It was really nice to hear you sing again" Sebastian smiled, before finishing his beer.