Chapter 4

Its been a day since Jerome beat up Rayon, and three days since Antonio told me we were moving. I was now at a store called My Quince Dress, looking for my birthday dress. Antonio wanted me to wear the traditional color, pink. I on the other hand had something else in mind, and that was to wear purple. Through all the commotion the only person who could care less was my mom.

I walked away from the rack of dresses I was through and went to my sad-looking mom. I sat next to her on the bench.

"Mama?" I asked trying to get her to look at me.

"Yes Fieya?"

"Why are you so sad? You don't even seem to care about my birthday."

"It's not that. It's-"

"What is it then?" I asked her slightly annoyed.

"You wouldn't understand," she replied.

"Try me", I challenged while crossing my arms.

"As well as you being Hispanic you are also Cherokee. With your Hispanic side when you come of age you have a quinceañera. But for Native American women they get married."

"They what?!" I yelled at her.

"Yes, when I was about your age my family had already chosen a husband for me. But before they could send me off to marry him I ran away. I refused to marry a man I did not know and did not love. I was sixteen at the time, three years later, is when I met the man I knew I would marry. Antonio Ricardo Pedro Greene," she smiled at the thought of my father.

"So, are you gone make me marry some strange creep", I asked nervously.

"No, I want you to find love on your own. But, you do need to find an escort for your quince."

"I'd rather not," I said without hesitation. I was completely done with boys, love, and all that irrelevant bull.

"That's fine. Because if you don't have one by Sunday, Royale will be your escort."

And with that she walked away. What in the actual fuck is the world coming to?