Chaper One- Ninth Grade

I met Owen O'Brian at the beginning of grade 9. The way we met was actually kind of funny. Owen sat beside me in my first period science class because of seating arrangements. I didn't know much about Owen. I've only seen him in my neighbourhood a couple of times walking his dog. He just recently moved in the house down the street. I never really talked to Owen in class or outside. We were both quiet and kept to ourselves. Then one day I was outside with my 6 year old little brother, Gus. I was teaching Gus how to rollerblade. It was funny because Gus looked like a little foal learning how to walk, with his wobbly legs. Gus was finally starting to get the hang of it when I saw Owen walking his dog. Owen's dog was a huge German Shepard. Thick Caramel and black fur. Big paws. Large teeth. I minded my own business, still rollerblading around when Owen's dog suddenly looked interested.
"Nellie,heal!" Owen commanded his dog.
But Nellie didn't want to heal. She was pulling and soon, Owen accidentally let go of her leash. Nellie sprinted after me. I was well aware of this and skated off as fast as I can. Nellie was behind me, running after me like it was a game. I tried hopping the ledge between the road and the sidewalk but failed. I fell down, my knees scraping the ground. Nellie caught up to me and started barking playfully. My hands and knees were skimmed and I was beyond embarrassed. Gus skated to me and giggled.
"Nice skating Marlee!" Gus told me. I glared at Gus and got up as I saw Owen jogging to me.
"I'm so sorry! I swear Nellie didn't mean to hurt you. She's just really playful." Owen told me, looking worried. Owen took Nellie's leash in hand. I was still in pain by the fall but I'll live.
"It's okay." I responded. Gus laughed and turned to Owen.
"I have one hell of a sister, don't I?" Gus asked Owen. Owen laughed. I narrowed my eyes at Gus.
"Gus! Don't say that! You're only 6. Where did you learn that?" I asked Gus. Gus shrugged.
"Youtube." Gus responded. Owen laughed again and I rolled my eyes but smiled a bit.
"Go try to take off your rollerblades. That's enough for today." I told Gus. Gus obeyed and skated to our driveway. It was just Owen and I.
"So... you're in my science class." Owen told me. I nodded.
"Yeah, I'm Marlee." I said And was about to extend my hand but thought better of it. I didn't want Owen to see how bad the scrapes are. Owen smiled.
"I'm Owen, and sorry again with... you know." Owen apologized again and glanced at Nellie. I smiled.
"It's fine. I'll see you tomorrow?"
"Yeah. Cya tomorrow."
Since that day, Owen and I just started talking. At first, it was just jokes about Nellie and me. Then it was an actual friendship. We told each other everything. My other friends didn't matter as much as Owen and his friends didn't matter as much as me. We hung out every weekend and we could talk for hours on end. It stayed like this for all of grade 9 and now, we're in grade 10.