preface

Before we get started, I want to tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Quinn Elizabeth James. I'm twenty years old and I go to the University of California Riverside. I live with my older brother, Derek.

My parents are in prison. They ran drug deals out of the abandoned house across the street. They've been in prison for five years. They used to write, but I haven't heard back from them since I was fifteen.

Otherwise, my life is somewhat normal. I wake up, I go to school, I go to work, I eat a balanced diet, and I mind my business.

I have no real friends, just some of the people I work with. I hop from place to place, party to party, I just kind of float. I've always been okay with floating. It's become who I am.

For the most part of my life, I've tried to stay away from alcohol and drugs. But as I got older, it became harder and harder. My depression and anxiety become overbearing at times and weed and alcohol were the best temporary escape.

I get help, I go to therapy, I sometimes sit in on AA meetings. I'm not an alcoholic, but I feel like hearing other people's stories might make me want to stop. It doesn't.

At the end of the day, I'm just lonely. This is my life. Welcome.