eight

I stepped out of the shower, looking at my body in the mirror. It's been a bad week. I had cuts up and down; on both of my thighs and both of my wrists. I was so hoping I wouldn't have to explain this to Luke.

Derek's court hearing was today. I told Luke he didn't have to come, but he insisted. It was nice to have someone.

Derek was downstairs, waiting for me. He cleaned up nice. Looked like a respectable human.

I drove to the courthouse in silence. He tried to make small talk, I stayed silent. We hadn't talked since our fight, Monday night.

"They're gonna send me to prison, you know," he said, as we were outside of the car, approaching the courthouse.

"I know they are," I laughed.

"I just want you to know," he started, and then stopped. I raise my eyebrows. "You're my baby sister, and I do love you. I have guys out here who will protect you. Make sure you're safe."

I laughed again. "I don't need any of your guys to protect me. Now let's get this shit done. I want this over with." I stormed away.

Luke was inside already, waiting for me. He had the biggest smile on his face, and I ran over to him, practically leaping into his arms.

"Hi, baby," he said. "How've you been this week?"

"Fine. I'm better now. I missed you."

"I missed you too," he said.

"I can't wait to get this shit over with," I said, as Derek walked closer to us. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Anthony, across the room, walking toward us. "That's Anthony," I whispered to Luke, and he wrapped his arm around my waist.

Derek seemed excited to see him. I crossed my arms over my chest and stared at the two of them.

"Quinn, looking beautiful as ever," Anthony said, his cheesy, nasty smile on his face. I scowled and looked away. "You must be Luke!" Anthony stuck his hand out for Luke to shake. Luke didn't shake it, or respond.

"Let's get this shit over with," I muttered, leading the way to the courtroom.

We all took our positions in the courtroom. I decided not to give a statement.

"Derek James and Anthony Stevens vs the State of California is now in session," the judge began. "Mr. James, how do you plead?"

Derek looked back at me, and then back to the judge. "I'm guilty, your honor." Anthony turned to Derek with his mouth wide open.

"Mr. Stevens?" Anthony didn't answer. "Mr. Stevens, I need a plea."

"I'm guilty," Anthony muttered. Relief washed over my body.

"Thank you for cooperating. Since you two made this easy, I'll go a little easier on you. I sentence the two of you to one year in prison with parole. Both of you will be going to the Robert Presely Detention Center here in Riverside. Case dismissed."

"That's where my parents are," i whispered to Luke.

He rubbed my thigh and took a deep breath. "I guess it's time to say goodbye. You can just stay here." He nodded, and I got up, approaching my brother.

Anthony was pissed, Derek just looked disappointed. "I'm sorry, Quinnie," he said. I shook my head.

"At least you'll get to see Dad; probably Mom," I shrugged my shoulders. "A year won't even be that long."

"I love you, you know," he said, pulling me in for a tight hug.

"Yeah, I love you, too," I said, squeezing tight.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw two cops approaching. "Bye, Quinn," Derek said, putting his arms behind his back.

"Bye, Derek."

"I'll call you, okay?"

I nodded, now holding back tears. "Okay."

I walked back to Luke, wiping tears from my face. "You okay?" He asked, wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

"I'll be fine," i whispered. "Let's go back to my place."

We both walked to our cars and he followed me home. I decided to change out of my clothes into something more comfortable.

"What do you want for dinner?" I asked, walking into the kitchen. "I made homemade vodka sauce. It's to die for."

"That sounds amazing," Luke said, smiling.

Luke came up behind me, gently wrapping his arms around my waist. "You are incredible," he whispered into my ear and kissed my cheek.

"I'm so happy I found you," I said.

"Me too."
_____

After we ate, Luke and I laid in my bed, attempting to watch Halloween movies.

He was all over me; kissing me, touching me. He just couldn't get enough of me. A part of me loved it. But there was also a part of me that knew we couldn't take it a step further.

We hadn't slept together yet. Which is great, perfectly fine. I knew I couldn't have sex with him because of the scars on my body. Not only did i have fresh cuts, but i also have thousands of scars.

I never cared about anyone else seeing them. Most guys I'd been with, I only slept with once; maybe twice. They never needed an explanation. They never asked questions either. Luke was different.

"Luke, I have to tell you something," I said, pulling away from him and sitting up.

"Whats up?" He asked, a concerned look taking over his face.

"I know what you're trying to do. I know what you want to do. And trust me, I do too. But we can't. Or maybe we can, but I just need to tell you something first," I get so awkward when I'm telling someone something important.

"Okay..." he said, sitting up.

"Well, I guess it would be easier for me to just show you," I told him, standing up.

I pulled up the sleeves of my shirt and revealed to him what I had done to myself. "Quinn..." he started.

"You don't have to say anything. There's nothing you can say. I just wanted to tell you," I sat back down next to him. "They're on my thighs, too." I whispered.

He pulled me into his arms and squeezed me tight. "Please don't ever do it again, Quinn. Please," Luke begged, kissing the side of my head.

I sat silent. Luke was holding me so tightly, I thought he'd never let go. I was kind of hoping he wouldn't.