one

I lit the blunt, and then took a hit. Then another, and another, until I passed it on to the next person in the circle.

"Okay, everyone, triple puff pass," I said, blowing out the smoke trapped in my throat. I was in a garage full of people, and I had no idea who a single one of them was.

The door burst open, and another guy came in. He had curly blonde hair and his blue eyes were piercing. I didn't want to take my eyes off of him. "Hey guys," he said quietly. Everyone raised their head toward him and smirked. A few people said hey back, but no one had much to say. Then, he approached me. "You're in my seat, baby girl," he told me.

I raised my eyebrows and smirked. "Does it say your name on it?" I asked him as I crossed my legs, and my arms over my chest.

"It used to," he shrugged his shoulders. "But that's alright. A pretty girl can sit in my seat. As long as I get to sit next to her."

I rolled my eyes. "Go ahead." I grabbed the roach that we were almost done with. I inhaled deeply attempting to forget about life for a while. I began coughing, as I realized I hadn't exhaled yet. "I'm done," I muttered, putting the blunt out on the floor, continuing to cough.

"You okay?" the blue-eyed boy asked, looking at me concerned.

I looked up at him, our eyes meeting. "Yeah, I'm okay." I smiled softly.

"So, what's your name?" he asked me. 

"I'm Quinn. Uh, Quinn James," I responded.

"It's nice to meet you Quinn James. I'm Luke Hemmings."

"It's nice to meet you Luke Hemmings," I mocked him, smiling wider.

"So where are you-" Luke started, but then he stopped. We both noticed the red and blue lights.

"Fuck Luke, fuck," I muttered, fumbling with my bag.

"Leave the bag. Let's go," he said, getting up and grabbing my hand.

"Where are we going?" I asked frantically, as he pulled me along.

"Just shut up and move," he said fiercely and picked up speed. I didn't say another word.

We ran quickly through the backyard and into the woods. "Stop running!" We heard cops boom.

"Don't stop, we're almost to the woods," Luke said. "Once we get onto the next street, we're in the next township over. We'll be fine."

Again, i didn't say anything. I just followed his lead. Soon enough, we were in and out of the woods. "We can slow down now. Are you okay? Hungry?"

"I'm fine, yeah. I'd never been that close to getting caught before. But, food. Uh, yeah. I'll definitely need some water, too."

"Perfect," he smiled. "I know a place. Come on."

Luke directed me in the opposite direction. "So, have you ever gotten caught there before?"

"I never have. I had a friend who got caught there once. Every once in a while that house will get busted. People don't always want to run with me. He didn't. His name was Tyler. He got an underage that night. He got caught with a lot of weed and some other stuff on him too. He went to jail and got out about four months ago. I haven't heard from him since," he rambled on.

"Oh, wow. I'm so sorry, Luke," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"It's whatever. But hey, are you cold? Do you want my jacket?" He asked as he took it off to hand it to me.

I blushed. "Thank you."

"No problem."

We walked for about another five minutes until we arrived at a diner that looked like it was inside a train car. "This is my brother's place," Luke said as I red the sign.

Jack's Diner.

He opened the door for me and we entered the almost empty dining room. "Hey, Lorenzo," Luke greeted the man kindly.

"Hey! Luke, how ya doin' brother?" Lorenzo asked in a calm peaceful voice. He sounded like he was foreign. Polynesian maybe.

"It's been a bit of a wild night," luke laughed as he walked to a booth.

I sat down across from him and looked over the menu silently. I decided on chicken tenders and fries as I wasn't much of a burger girl.

Luke and I chatted a bit over our food, about the food itself, and about the diner. We were finally done and it was time to leave.

"So, will you be walking me back to my car? Or is this where we part ways?"

He cocked his eyebrows and laughed at me. "The cops will be there until six in the morning. You're staying with me tonight. I live right around the corner." Luke pointed to the left.

I didn't question it. When we were running, I was hot so I didn't realize how cold it actually was. "All my stuff is in that bag back there. My jacket, car keys, everything." I sighed.

"Take mine," Luke said, as he took his jacket off and handed it to me.

I smiled. "Thank you." And then it dawned on me. "Why are you being so nice to me?"

It was dark, but I could see him blushing. "You're really beautiful. You caught my eye as soon as I walked in the room. And to be honest,     that was never my seat. I just needed an excuse to talk to you."

Well, you're not too bad yourself Luke Hemmings," I chuckled.

"That's my house right up there," he pointed.

It was nice. Nicer than any house I'd ever lived in. "Perfect," i smiled. "I'm exhausted."

He unlocked his front door and quietly led me inside. "My rooms upstairs. Come on," he whispered. Luke opened the door to his bedroom, ushered me in, and then walked down the hall.

I sat down on his bed and played with my fingers while I waited on him to come back. He appeared with a pile of clothes. "Here. These are my sisters. You're about the same size and I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

I looked down and smiled. "Thank you," I said sincerely.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

I chuckled a little. "Nothing. Nothing at all actually. It's just, guys usually take advantage of girls like me."

"Trust me, I would never take advantage of you," he said seriously. "Get some sleep. I'll see you in the morning." Luke began to walk out.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Downstairs. I'll sleep on the couch tonight. It gets really cold up here by the way."

I smiled to myself, quickly changed, and then climbed into bed.

Damn, it really was cold up here.