Red Hands

I know that I messed up a few times, or what you want to call it.

жжж

            Alice had still been at the homecoming dance when the news broke.

I know if I fell down, you'd change the way that I saw it.

Hearing that FP had been arrested once and for all for the murder of Jason Blossom had a detrimental effect on her, it made her blood run cold. Of course, she didn't let any of this show. It was the children who had let their emotions take over them, so much so that they couldn't seem to leave the situation alone.

She couldn't exactly tell them not to. She knew where Betty got her mystery-obsessed side from. It came with being a writer, especially a journalist. Alice had always supposedly been good at keeping her irrational emotions in check, except when she wasn't. Tonight, she was. She let herself come off as unfazed by FP's conviction, she let herself parade around as if she'd known all along that some Southside scumbag was responsible for Jason's murder.

It wasn't until she got home after interrogating the kids over at Fred's house that she let herself think. And what she thought wasn't pleasant. What had she done? It was her who suggest that FP may be guilty, though she knew very well that there was no truth to it. She couldn't help but dwell on the fact that if she'd never gotten involved, he wouldn't be behind bars. Nothing could sway her opinion on the fact that she was certain he didn't pull the trigger, but she was positive that he was involved somehow. And even if he was just responsible for the cleanup, which she suspected that he was, he would still be doing jailtime for that very reason.

What had even been her motivation for questioning his innocence? Knowing that if he was locked away she wouldn't have to see him and be reminded of the pain of the past and longing for the future? Ridiculous. Be careful what you wish for – this was one of the rare times that the old cliché was nothing but suitable.

I put in on the line for this time only, is that what you really want?

"Kevin said someone tipped off his Dad." Betty was arguing with her mother in her bedroom, still rather panicked over the events of the night. "Was it you?"

"I was at the dance, Betty." In fact, it wasn't her. But, given her recent behaviour, she couldn't blame her daughter for being suspicious.

"Answer the damn question, Mom." Betty looked down at her mother due to the heels that she wore on her feet, "And don't lie. Was it you?"

"It was not." Alice finally managed to say, almost hurt by the accusation. "But I'm glad that you're safe. And as much as I like Jughead, I am so glad that you're done with that family." It truly was like a dream come true. FP Jones was out of her life forever, just as she had always wanted.

"Done?" Betty fought back, "I love Jughead." A glint came into Betty's youthful eyes, that was the first time that she had admitted that out loud. Alice remained quiet but tilted her head to the side as her heart sank. So, it was true. Both of her daughters were inevitably living out her own teenage nightmare. "He's as much my family as you are, more so right now."

She tried to move past her mother, but Alice held up a hand. "You are not going anywhere, young lady."

"I'm going to look for Jughead." Alice now realized just how bad things were. Jughead was missing, a teenaged boy, and his father was in jail for something that he likely didn't do. Of course Betty should go after him. "Do not push me tonight, Mom. Because I will push back."