Cigarette Daydreams

Did you stand there all alone?

жжж

Alice had a master plan. The very floor of her world had been ripped out from under her when she lost FP Jones. There was nothing left that she had to lose, so she decided that she was about to begin gaining. Even if it meant that she would have to settle for her second-rate dreams. For months upon months, the only dreams she had for her future involved a certain young Serpent. So long as he was there with her, she knew that she would be happy. And that was enough for her.

That was no longer the case. He was gone – had walked out of her life without even looking back. He had told her that he would never stop loving her, but that only made things worse. Mainly because she knew that she would never stop loving him either. Which was why her only option was to mask it all. It was time for a change.

There was only one thing that she wanted now, and that was for people to stop looking at her as nothing more than Southside scum. She wanted a proper image, she wanted to feel respected. And she planned to get there. It all came down to one person – Harold Cooper. He was interested in her, that was no secret, and he had plenty to offer even if none of those things had to do with the boy himself.

She was barely attracted to him, but that didn't matter. What mattered was the fact that he came from a family that had a spotless record. He came from money, but that was just a bonus. Alice would take him just for the reputation alone. And, she did. Looks wise, personality wise, intelligence wise, he was a dud. Not her type at all. He couldn't satisfy her in any way, he couldn't keep her happy, and she knew that she likely wouldn't feel fulfilled for the rest of her life, but he offered stability.

Step one, was to stop dodging his persistent requests to take her out on a date. Step two, was to learn to control herself to the point of no return. She would sit there and listen as he went on and on about the things that Alice had absolutely no interest in, but that was just what she had to do. She would fake a smile and laugh in all the right places, attempting to make eyes at him in order to reassure him that she was interested. She faked her way into a relationship.

It was a bore. Hal Cooper was a snooze in every sense. So completely unlike what Alice was used to – unlike what Alice truly needed in her life. She knew that, but she didn't exactly have many options anymore. She needed to get out of the trashy life that she was supposedly destined to live, and if that meant a sham of a relationship with Hal, that was only the price that she would have to pay.

In her mind, Alice had a plan all figured out, she knew exactly what she was doing. In reality, she was lost and stumbling through the dark, grasping for anything that she could use to stabilize herself after her life had crumbled around her. All the while, her heart continuously ached for a boy who had wronged her. A boy who she had wronged. She had initially hoped that time would begin to heal the wounds, but if anything, the passing days only made her miss him harder.

I cannot explain what's going down.

It was their senior year, and everything appeared to be coming together. In reality, everything had very recently fallen apart for many of the Riverdale High students, and they were desperately scrambling to piece together a life that they could each live. Hermione Alvarez had left Fred Andrews for Hiram Lodge, which sent Fred into the arms of Mary Bentley. FP and Alice had broken up, which practically forced Alice into Hal Cooper's life as FP did his best for the Serpents. They were his whole life now.