Chapter 6: School (Pt 1/2)

I trail out of the school's office with Mist glued to my hip.

"Everything's going to be fine. I'm right here to protect you."

"We don't have every class together, you know that." She frowns.

"The lady in the office said that they have put Hunt into different classes from you and they moved his locker far away from yours. The only times you might see him, I'll be with you," I reassure her.

"Still don't like being apart from you." She pouts.

"Neither do I, Mist. But we don't have a choice, as much as that sucks."

"At least our first class is together, so we don't have to split up yet."

***

I lean back in my chair while I wait for class to start. All the seats are full except the one to the right of me. Mist and I split up at second period to go to our separate classes.

"Alright, class, I want you to open your books to page115—"

The class door opens.

"You're late," the teacher says.

I look up from my book and see Hunt standing in the doorway. I glance around the room; he's getting not-so-nice looks from almost everyone in the class. The ones not looking are whispering to each other.

I hear one kid say, "He was probably trying to get with some girl again." And another says, "What a bastard, can't believe he's even showing his face."

I watch him walk around to the back of the class to the empty seat next to me. He doesn't even look up once. He hasn't even noticed he's sitting next to me. I stare at him. He looks exhausted, and like he's been hit by a bus, several times. His eyes are bloodshot, his hair is a rat's nest, his clothes look half-washed. I honestly feel a little bad for him even though he was a jerk to my sister.

He looks up from his desk and glances at me. He stares at me with a blank, tired look. As if he is too tired to even care it's me.

He sighs, and his head falls against his desk with a thud. A few students look back to see what the noise was, but the teacher doesn't seem to hear it.

I wonder what his problem is. He just isn't making sense.

At the end of class, the bell rings, and I wait till the crowd of teens leave the room to get up. Hunt is still sitting there, staring at his book.

"Don't you two have to get to your next class?" the teacher asks.

I take the hint and leave. Soon as I get out of class, I scan the hall for Mist. I spot her way down the hallway at her locker.

I shiver. I look to my right and Hunt is standing next to me in a daze almost. I jump out of my skin when I see him.

His head slowly turns, and he meets my eyes.

He looks broken...

I sidestep away from him. I turn to see where Mist is. I see her staring at me worriedly. She is standing next to her best friend, Chris, who I've yet to meet personally, and she pulls Mist off in the other direction.

I glance back to see if Hunt is still there. Unfortunately, he is.

"What's your problem?" I ask him.

"Huh?" He looks up.

"I said what the hell is your problem."

He just stares at me with the same blank look as before. "Man, I don't even know you." He turns and walks down the hall.

What? Did he... Never mind I have to get to class.

***

I walk into the cafeteria and my heart skips a beat. Hunt is walking straight towards Mist, and she's not paying attention. "Mist!" I yell.

She looks up a little too late. When she looks up to find who called her name, she runs right into Hunt. He freezes. I dash over and step between them.

"Stay. Away. From. Her. Got it?"

He takes a few steps back. He squeezes his eyes shut and shakes his head like he is in pain or something. He turns and runs out of the room. I start to follow him, but Mist grabs my arm. I glance back. I see horror in her eyes. I immediately encase her with a hug.

"It's okay, I'm right here. No one's gonna hurt you." I close my eyes, so no one sees them glowing.

***

I stagger out of my closet while drying my black, shaggy, wet hair with a towel. I wander over to my window. I can see a faint reflection of myself in the glass. I stare into my emerald green eyes for a moment. I lift the window open. I feel the cool spring evening air rush into the room.

It's dark outside. A light rain storm had gone on after we got home from school and through dinner, but now the sky is crystal clear. I gaze down into the woods. I notice something move. I try to focus on it, but it's no longer visible. I stare, waiting for it to reappear. A few moments later I see it again, clearer this time. It looks like a guy. I watch him stagger into the darkness again.

"Who the hell is in my family's back yard?" I growl to myself. I quietly go down the stairs and sneak past the living room, into the kitchen, and out the back door. I run into the woods.

I stop in my tracks when I see a wolf stumbling from side to side. And it's the same damn wolf that keeps coming here, same one who tore a hole in my side, little bastard...

"Okay, what the hell do you want? Why do you keep coming here?"