Chapter 11: I Can Explain (Pt 2/2)

"What the hell?" a way-too-familiar voice blurts out.

I look past Hunt to see my mom standing at the entrance to the kitchen with grocery bags hanging from her arms.

"Uh, I can explain?" Ahhh shit.

Again, if looks could kill... I'd be dead, again. The look my mom is giving me right now is horrifying. I'm terrified for my life. And I'm a werewolf, which means I'm really strong. Yet at the moment I feel like a noodle. No, no, a pile of mashed potatoes.

"Why in the hell is this piece of trash standing in my kitchen?" she yells.

Ouch, my poor sensitive ears do not like mad momma bear screams.

"Uhhh..." My mind goes blank. I can't think of anything to fix this. I could tell her the truth, but most likely at this moment she'll think I'm making it up, but what do I tell her? "I, uhhh—" Still nothing.

"I invited him over," Mist says as she reenters the room.

I stare at her in disbelief. She gives me the play along, you idiot look.

"Is this true, Ryder?" my mom asks.

"Yeah."

Hunt stands next to me with a terrified look on his face.

"Why would you do that? Isn't he your least favorite person on this planet?" Mom asks Mist.

Hunt frowns.

"Yes, he is. I, uh. I invited him over because Ryder wanted to have a talk with him about the stuff that happened between us. Hunt's parents also uh, wanted to have Hunt apologize for his behavior." Mist glares at Hunt.

Hunt responds to Mist's glare. "Uh, yeah. What Mist said. I'm here to apologize. I feel awful about how I acted."

"And has that happened yet? Your full apology?" Mom asks Hunt.

"He hasn't got the chance yet. I was giving him a little talk." I also give him a glare.

"Well, I'm waiting? Apologize to my daughter."

"Okay." He gulps and turns to Mist. "Mist, I am awfully sorry about how I treated you and I regret it deeply. It was wrong of me and I don't deserve to be forgiven. And I don't expect you to forgive me. It wasn't like me to do something like that, I don't know what made me act so irrationally. I hope you can understand how horrible I feel about what I did and how ashamed I am that I would ever do something like that. I do take full responsibility for what I did. I am truly sorry. I never meant to hurt you."

Huh, that actually was a decent apology. I can tell by the look on Mist's face that she didn't expect that. She looks kinda shocked.

"I'm going to go now. Thank you for giving me a chance to tell you how sorry I am." Hunt walks towards the front door and lets himself out.

Mist looks like she doesn't know what to do with herself.

"You alright, sweetie?" Mom asks her.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I'm just gonna go lie down." She turns and hastily runs to her bedroom.

"Hey, Mom?"

"Yeah, Ryder?"

"I just have a random question. Do you believe there are things out there in this world that exist, but we don't have proof?"

"Well, I guess it depends what you mean by that. Are you talking about religious beliefs or are you talking about things like magic and mermaids and vampires and things like that?"

"Uhhh, both?"

She shakes her head at me. "I do believe there are things that we can't explain with science, by that I mean in a religious way. And to answer the other one. There is no real proof to say whether or not those things are possible. I'm not necessarily sure I believe things like that are real, but I do believe there is some type of magic out there. Why do you ask? Do you know something?"

"What, no, why would I know anything?" I blurt out.

She laughs. "I'm just messing with you." She shakes her head at me. "You're all dirty, Ryder. Did you go roll in a mud pile or something? Go take a bath."

I look down at my filthy clothes. It didn't even occur to me that I'd also need to take a shower. "Yeah, that'd be a good idea." I rush off to my room.

After my shower I head to Mist's room. I knock on her door.

"Who is it?"

"It's your brother."

"What's the password?"

"Password? What password?"

"The one I just made up."

"That's not fair."

"Never said it was supposed to be."

"Can I at least have a hint?"

"Maybe."

"Well?"

"Starts with a P and ends with an E."

"PleasE?"

The door swings open.

"Seriously, the password was please?"

"You got any better ideas?"

"Yeah, anything but PleasE."

She rolls her eyes. I follow her into her bedroom. She plops down onto her bed.

"You alright?"

"I'm fine."

"You know 'I'm fine' never means you're fine, right?"

She just blankly stares at me. I sit next to her.

"It's just something he said is bothering me." Mist sighs.

"What is it?"

"When he said he never meant to hurt me. What did he mean by that?"

"That he didn't intend to hurt you?"

"Then what did he intend to do?"

Uhhh, not sure I should tell her he has a really huge crush on her.

"Ryder."

"Hmmm?"

"I'm talking to you."

"I, uhhh."

"Ryder, answer me."

"What do you want me to say?"

"I want you to tell me what you know! You're not saying something, and I want to know what that something is. So, you are going to tell me right now what that something is, got it?"

Oh boy.