Chapter 29: The End Is Just the Beginning (Pt 1/1) ~End~

On our way home, Hunt somehow runs right into a tree. I'm finding that he runs into things by accident a lot. Physical objects and just trouble in general. I have to help him walk for a while because he hit that tree pretty hard. I think he even left a Hunt-shaped dent in it. One of the pack members is waiting on the side of the road for us and drives us home.

We walk up to the door and I find it unlocked. That concerns me. It would concern me more if I smelled something off, but I don't.

Hunt and I enter the house. I hear the upstairs shower running and my mom's voice singing a tune to some song. We toss our bags aside and head out back. I see Mist sitting in a chair on the back deck. She told me that she would wait outside every evening so she could see me as soon as I got home. Guess we should have come through the backyard.

"Whatcha doing?" I ask her.

Hunt stands quietly beside me, waiting for her to answer. Her back is to us.

"Shhh! Go away," she grumbles.

Hunt looks at her weird.

"Uh, are you waiting for someone?" I ask. She clearly doesn't know it's us she is talking to.

"Yes! Now shut up and go away," she snaps. She still hasn't looked behind her to see it's us.

I can't help but laugh.

Mist springs out of her chair in anger. "I said shut up!" she screams. She turns around. Her eyes widen. I notice she is crying. She covers her mouth with her hands. After the shock wears off, she tackles me with a hug. "You jerk," she cries into my shoulder.

"What'd I do?" I ask.

She mumbles something into my shoulder that I don't quite get. She holds me tight as her arms would let her.

"I missed you too," Hunt murmurs.

She removes one arm from me and holds it out for Hunt. Hunt joins in on the hug. After a few minutes, Mist pulls away and wipes the tears from her eyes with the sleeve of her shirt.

"Told you we'd make it back intact." I smile.

"I'd have to kill you if you didn't." She sniffles and wipes some more tears away.

"I missed you so much," Hunt says to Mist.

"I missed you too." She hugs Hunt then looks at me. "Both of you. How'd it go, anyway?"

"Mission completed, so good," I say.

"Good." Mist snuggles against Hunt. She closes her eyes. Her heart beats steady and calm.

It's hard to believe that not long ago she hated him. She had a good reason. They look happy. That makes me happy.

"Hey, Mist, can I talk to you privately please?" I ask.

Mist pulls away from Hunt. "Okay." She looks at me, confused and concerned at the same time.

I lead her into the dining room to talk.

"I want to talk about your friend Chris," I say bluntly.

"Huh? Why do you want to talk about her?"

"I kinda didn't tell you something before. She's not hurt or anything. I actually haven't seen her in a while. I didn't want to tell you this before because you made it clear that I'm not allowed to date her. I feel that you might understand better now that you and Hunt are together. If it still makes you uncomfortable or you are just not okay with it, I'll leave it alone."