Chapter 14: It's Going to Be a Long Day (Pt 1/2)

"I'm here. Against the wishes of my sister. So, what do you want?" I ask sternly.

"I want to talk. I can't take it anymore. I can't stop thinking about her! Why can't I stop thinking about her? I shouldn't be thinking about her because she hates me, and she'll never give me the chance to prove to her that the real me really isn't such a bad guy."

"Assaulting her in school wasn't a good way to get on her good side."

"You should know damn well that I wasn't in control and didn't mean to do that. I don't know why I just can't move on. I can't let it go."

"And what am I supposed to do exactly?"

"I don't know! Help me figure out why I can't get over your sister when I haven't even been with her. I've barely talked to her. I don't understand why I'm so attached. I want to spend every second with her. I want to be there to protect her. Be there for her. But I can't and it's killing me."

"Why, why do you have to like her? Why not someone else?"

"I didn't choose to fall in love with your sister, okay!"

"What did you just say?"

"Uh, um."

"Don't say it."

"But you just—"

"Don't say it. Do not say you love her."

"But I might. I-I think I do."

"No, no you don't, you're not allowed to. You're not allowed to ruin her life by being her soulmate, no no no!"

"Soulmate. That's why I can't stop thinking about her, worrying about her? Because she's my soulmate?"

I growl.

"I never meant to hurt her! I'm not the person everyone now believes I am. That was my wolf instincts running loose! It wasn't my fault. Why can't anyone see who I really am. I was stopped before I could do anything."

"It's not the fact of what actually happened, it's what you planned on doing."

"It wasn't me. I'd never do anything to hurt anyone. It was out of my control. I hate myself for any of it ever happening. I feel like everyone won't let me move on from it to try to make up for it. Please, you gotta help me. It kills me to be away from her."

"I know that. That still doesn't change the fact I don't want you with my sister."

"But why? You know the truth. You know that I'm really not the guy who did that stuff. It wasn't me. I don't even remember it! I never knew what was going on. I didn't have control. You should at least understand that."

"Look Hunt I know you aren't out of control anymore and you're not a bad guy. But Mist doesn't see it like that. You hurt her more than you could probably imagine. You're the reason I'm even a part of their family. She wanted a big brother who could protect her, and that's exactly what she got. And if she wants nothing to do with you, I'm sorry, but I'm on her side. I would do anything to keep the family I finally have safe and happy. And if that means you're miserable, I don't care because my number one priority is them, not you. I won't do anything that will upset her. So that means you are on your own. I'm done helping you."

"This isn't fair. I didn't mean to upset her. I never meant for that to happen. It's not my fault."

"It's not mine either, so it's not my problem. Goodbye, Hunt." I turn to leave.

"Ryder, please wait. You have to at least tell her. So she can make the decision. If it's still a no, I promise never to bother any of your family ever again."

"I'll tell her. But only because she deserves to know, not because it might help you. Which most likely it won't."

"I just need to know for sure."

I glance at him one more time before I head back home to what will be a very stressful evening.

***

I walk in the front entrance of my house and softly close the door behind me.

"What'd the jackass want?" Mist asks.

"To talk."

"About?"

I sigh. "He wanted to talk about you."

"Did you?"

"Yes, I told him that I'm on your side and will never help him."

"Did he want your help to get on my good side?"

"Kinda yeah."

"Asshole," she grumbles.

"There is something I do have to tell you. And I'm only telling you because I think you should know. I'd feel wrong if I didn't say anything."

"What is it?"

"We should probably sit down."

"Ryder, you're scaring me."

"I know, I'm sorry."

"He's not, is he? But you said..." She cries. Tears run down her face.

"I'm sorry."

The look on her face kills me inside. She cries into my shirt, soaking it with her tears.

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry."

"This can't be happening. There's no way it's him, no way. Please tell me it's not him!"

"I'm sorry."

"Is that the only thing you can say right now?"

"Maybe, yeah. I don't know what to say. I'm sorry that it's him, I wish you could have gotten someone better."

"If it's meant to be, why did he hurt me?"

"Well, not that I'm trying to defend him or anything. He didn't mean to do what he did. He wasn't in control of himself."

"But, Ryder, wouldn't he subconsciously not want to hurt me?"

"Well, maybe he didn't know it was hurting you?"

"How would he not know? I was being very vocal of my hatred for what he was trying to do!"

"Okay, sorry I mentioned it."

"Ryder, why would you have said that?"

"I'm regretting having this conversation at all."

"No, it was right of you to not keep it from me, but you need to explain why you're defending him."

"I'm not defending him. I'm just putting options out there. Mist, he does really care about you. So I'm just saying maybe the actions he made while not in control of himself were not intended to harm you. He promised he would leave you alone as long as he knew that you were one hundred percent sure that you don't want anything to do with him. So, do you want nothing to do with him?"

"Yes."

I'm not so convinced by her yes. "You sure? One hundred percent yes?"

"Maybe."

"Maybe isn't one hundred percent yes."