Westminster

As soon as we arrived at the dock, Jeannie turned and looked at me as though I had suddenly sprouted two heads.

'Are you fucking serious?' she squealed, causing the few people that were standing in front of us in the queue to turn around and then whisper to each other quietly.

'Yes!' I said back. 'Come on a River Cruise, its romantic.'

'It's freezing.' Jeannie snapped. 'You are insane. You have to be. I'm going home.' She continued, pulling her phone out of her pocket. Again, Jeannie started sending another text probably to her solicitor. I knew I was already a dead man, but I had to keep going. Jeannie's phone beeped again, and she read, and she read whatever the message was diligent. I knew it was a text because Jeannie had never changed that annoying ringtone she had used since we both upgraded our phones a year ago. That and the fact that she had already sent one to whoever was on the receiving end of the phone. Suddenly, her face changed, and she looked up at me. I timed my head away and pretended not to notice.

'You know what; maybe I should go on that cruise after all. It's only half an hour out of my life.' She smiled. 'I suppose you've already bought the tickets.'

'Yes, I have.' I sighed, rolling my eyes again. 'So, I assume you're coming then?' I asked, holding out my hand.

'I'm coming.' She sighed, taking my hand. If this wasn't Divorce Bi-Polar, I didn't know what was!

The magic of London carried on as the boat ambled slowly down the river. Jeannie and I stood outside on the deck letting the wind blow through our hair. St Paul's rose above the Skyline proudly lit showing its wonder to the world. Jeannie and I had pretended that we were Mary Poppins and Bert one and stood on the steps in the early hours of the morning singing "Feed The Birds" at the top of our voices. It seemed like a century ago rather than a mere few years ago. I couldn't believe that Jeannie hadn't mentioned once that this night was a special night for us. She either didn't remember or was just annoying me. Either way, I didn't have time to work it out.

Jeannie was still checking her phone every five seconds. It made me wonder what exactly what was important. But as previously pointed out, she was probably reporting the night back to her solicitor. But it was getting on my nerves, so I finally said something.

'Please put that away.' I asked, gently but firmly. Jeannie looked up at me and smirked.

'Why?' she asked. 'Afraid you're not getting enough attention?'

'No.' I answered, once again holding my tongue. 'It's a little distracting.'

'Fine.' Jeannie answered, sliding the phone back into her handbag and then looking back at the view. 'It is a beautiful night, I will give you that.'

'Why thank you, my darling wife.' I added, allowing myself a smile. 'It's always beautiful on Christmas Eve.'

'You're getting sentimental again Harry.' Jeannie said, turning her head to me slightly. 'I don't want any sentimentality. Not tonight.'

'Fine, no more sentiment.' I sighed, slightly deflated. 'Are you sure that you have no room for romance on tonight of all nights?' I asked in hope.

'Like I said Harry, what is so frickin special about Christmas Eve?' Jeannie audibly sighed.

'You don't remember?' I asked, heart finally broken.

'Remember what?' She squeaked, causing the American couple next to us to jump slightly. I decided that I would give up right there. Nothing more needed to be said. Obviously, this night was nothing to Jeannie anymore. She had forgotten every single detail of that night eleven years ago. The same way she had forgotten me and everything that we had gone through, all of the IVF, trying to convince her about adoption, everything. I meant nothing to her anymore, I knew that now. I could go home and wait for my solicitor's office to open after Christmas and go through with everything in Divorce Land. I looked at the landscape of my favourite city and silently let a tear fall. I looked over at Jeannie again, who just smirked as she looked ahead into the distance.