f o u r t e e n

BAD BITCH
these were the women who knitted pain into glory

14. Mission Begins

 Mission Begins

January 2017

SUBTLE! I said we were going to be SUBTLE!
Svetlana shrieks, growling at the man who was on the floor in front of her, but Steve just groans in pain. She looks around them in a mixture of nervousness and aggravation only to see that all eyes were on them and that they were quickly being enclosed by Hydra officers. The one thing she'd stated when the pair had been in the quinjet was that the mission was going to be in and out, nice and quick, but somehow Captain America had fucked up and ended up flinging himself out of an elevator to Svetlana's feet.
Yeah, well, too late.
He breathes out, winded from falling onto concrete from the sixth floor, and Svetlana just cuffs the back of his head in annoyance before getting into a fighting stance.
Steve looks up to see that they were surrounded, Hydra operatives are around them in a circle, and that there were around fifty men they were going to have to fight through. As Steve regains his posture and stands up, all of the people surrounding them flick out their batons and prepare themselves for a fight.
Svetlana was really beginning to wish she'd just let Bucky Barnes die.

Must you bring that fucking dinner plate with you?
Svetlana grumbles, an hour previous from the safety of the quinjet, but Steve just scoffs slightly before going back to reading the book in front of him. The man wasn't about to leave his shield behind, he didn't care what Svetlana had said, and he most definitely wasn't going to go on a mission with it. Steve's shield made him feel protected. Even when he had been small, just a kid from Brooklyn, he had sought out protection whether it be from the lid of a trash can or from Bucky. So, no, he wasn't going to leave without his shield.
Svetlana had managed to get her and Steve on a quinjet merely an hour after their group meeting. She would have gone alone, knowing that all she had to do was steal a few more documents from the men in power in order to locate Barnes, but Steve had insisted and she could hardly refuse him when he gave her a look that resembled a puppy. She hated how she was getting soft but she supposed it was a good sign - a sign she was getting over her life with Hydra's training engrained in her brain.
She'd been very clear to Rogers that the mission was going to be low-key. No one was getting hurt, no one would attack them as long as they didn't arouse suspicion, and it was frankly impossible for it to go wrong. Everything was right so all they had to do was walk in, take the documents, and then walk out. Simple.
You can't take that and not get recognised, Rogers!
Svetlana fumes out, already becoming sick of working with other people, and was beginning to really wish that she'd just refused the man and left by herself. Yet, it was too late. They were nearly landing after their two hour flight and she could hardly leave the man behind as she was almost certain that he'd follow no matter what she said.
I'll go the back route.
He states back, meeting her eyes, and seems to not be willing to back down. Svetlana laughs. It startles both of them. Svetlana wasn't used to laughing. In fact, she wasn't sure she'd properly laughed in a long while - if ever. Yet, the man's response had caught her by surprise and his boldness had simply made her let out a bark of laughter in disbelief.