Recruit

Shane’s POV

Shane: Yeah, just put the rest of the stock in the supply room. We need to save as much food as we can, especially for the women and children. You may rest now Sergeant.

Sergeant Gonzales: Sir, Yes Sir.

I saluted him and he exited the tent. I was checking over our inventory when another one of my men entered.

Sergeant Blaine: Sir. We’ve spotted a new recruit wandering around the camp base. What would you like us to do with him sir?

Shane: Bring him to my cabin. I’ll be there shortly.

I attempted to finish my work quickly so I could meet this new recruit. We’ve been finding more and more of them since the apocalypse started. Ever since the germ warfare began everyone became ill and turned in to lifeless cannibals. Some people call it Croatoa but they’re all just freaking zombies and I don’t care who they are; all that matters is that those who haven’t been infected yet stay un-infected. I’ve been the commander of this base camp for almost three years now.  I’ve gotten our little community through hell and back and so it’s only right that I get the top position. One thing they don’t know about me though, is that I’m gay. They would never respect that especially in these times where they all turn to “god”.  I didn’t go sexless throughout the years though. Once in a while we would get a new recruit who would try and “impress” me to get a higher position. After I was finished with him I would send them to an “important” mission that all commanders go to and they would never make it back alive. I know. I’m ruthless. But if you’ve experienced being tortured and ridiculed for your sexuality, you would make sure that no one ever found out ever.

I walked to my cabin and saw a frail and scared looking guy sitting on my bed. He looked weak and probably hasn’t eaten in days. He looked like he was just a few years younger than me. He looked at me and I saw, just in his expression, all of the trouble he’s been though. He had cuts on his arms and face. He had a good amount of facial hair and his face was covered in dirt. He stood up and saluted me.

Shane: You can sit. What’s your name?

Joey: I’m – My name is Joey.

Shane: well joey, my name is Commander Yaw. Some people call me sir or Mr. Yaw. Now why don’t you go and clean up then report back to my cabin so we can get better acquainted. Sergeant Blaine will help get you settled.

Joey: Yes Mr. Yaw.

He left my room and I just sat on my bed and thought. All my duties were finished so usually around this time I could be alone and have time for myself. I thought about my plan for tomorrow but my mind kept trailing back to Joey. There was something about him that stuck to me. He was different in some way and it baffled me. I must get to know him more. I was lost in my thought when I heard a knock on the door.

Shane: Come in.

Joey: Hello Mr. Yaw.

Joey stuck his head from the door first and then stepped out to reveal his much cleaner self. Damn. He cleans up nicely. He wore the regular muscle shirt and capris that the sergeants wore; I guess it was all they had for him. Though I must admit, he looks damn good in it. I motioned for him to come and sit with me.

Shane: So Joey, why don’t you tell me about yourself?

Joey: Well… uhh, I was with my family when my mom came home, she was acting pretty weird but we thought she was just tired or something.  Suddenly that night I was woken up by screaming from my older sister. I ran out to see what was happening and I saw the dead body of my little brother and my mom biting my sister. It was horrible! My dad turned to me and yelled at me to leave the house. I could still hear his voice. He said he could handle it but as I ran from the house the last thing I heard was the sound of his cries. I ran for miles and miles. I was spotted by some of those … creature things and so I tried to find place for myself in the forest. I’ve been in hiding for two years by myself. I’ve met up with some people but they all seem to leave or die. I had a recent companion but he caught the virus and tried attacking me. Thankfully one of the sergeants found me and well, now I’m here.