9

His funeral was one week later. I was going to give a speech even if it would be hard.

I sat in the front row, my face blank as I stared at the coffin. My husband was in there.

My thumb twirled my wedding ring around my fingers as I stared numbly.

"And now a speech from his husband." The priest stepped down for me.

I stood up and headed to the coffin. Looking down at large bouquet of roses.

"Hello. For those of you who don't know, I'm Malaki Walter, husband of Nick Walter." I stopped to take a deep breath before continuing. "Nick and I fell in love at a young age. He was always so nice, so gentle. He didn't deserve to die. Especially in this way. But I hope that he is watching down on us, smiling at the choices we make. I hope that he died a happy man. He didn't deserve any less.

His heart was made of gold, and a personality as bright as the sun. Nick, I hope that you are listening because I love you. I love your heart, you smile, your personality, just every little thing. I wanted to spend forever with you, I guess forever will just have to wait a while." By the time I was done I was full blown sobbing.

My chest hurt just thinking about him. He was the only man for me.

That was the worst day of my life. Even worse than the day he died. I had watched them put my lover's body six feet under. That was the day I had died.