Darkness, Part 1 - Pitfalls of Hearts

Moon was trying to reach her bedroom with haste. The dream might have been over, but the emotions from it were still fresh. She needed to see Star herself.

"Star!"

"Mom!"

As Moon predicted, Star was looking out a window at the same thing she had just witnessed. She ran to her and hugged her firmly. River was surprised at the emotional outburst.

"Are you alright, dear?"

"I- Mom. Air-"

She quickly let go of her.

"Sorry. I'm just glad to see you."

"Me too mom. But do you feel alright?"

"A little weak, but otherwise I feel okay."

"You sure about that?"

"I am."

"Because you look pale. Well, more pale than usual."

"You don't need to worry about me, sweety. Now, tell me - what do you intend to do?"

"Do what, mom?"

"Don't play dumb, Star. I know you. I know how you feel about Marco."

Star looked back at Moon, surprised.

"Everyone does."

"Not like me; I'm your mother."

"Not this again..."

"Star, look at me. I know what he means to you. It is true that I was never really happy you falling in love with an outsider, but..." She looked at River, who, him being him, didn't understand her notion. "I was once deeply in love with an outsider too. You cannot imagine the racket it caused. But, I stuck to my conviction and years later I gave birth to a beautiful, albeit headstrong baby girl, that for some reason took great joy keeping me awake almost every night."

Star smiled back at her. She couldn't remembered her mother ever being this emotionally open.

"Go get him."

"Sooooo, you are fine with me going after Eclipsa?"

"No. Far from it. But I also know that if I tried to stop you, I would fail anyway and you'd hate for it. And I don't want that."

Star hugged her mother once more. "Thank you."

"But you have to me promise one thing."

"What's that?"

"Wait with the idea of having family of your own, okay? I don't feel old enough to become a grandma."

"I'll make no promises."

"Star!"

"Just joking. I'll be back soon and in one piece, I promise. Hopefully with Marco as well. Thanks, mom!"

After her last words she ran away out to meet her friends.

With her parents recovering, she thought back to the day when she first arrived on Earth. A lot has happened since then, from the laughs and fun she shared with Marco, to the dangers they fought off together. But even after all of those experiences, it had never occurred to her that she'd be fighting against Marco. Her... friend, now seems to be allied with Eclipsa. It sounds crazy, even to her, but it was the only reason Star could imagine for everything that had happened.

Star looked down the empty hallway. The vacantness she gazed into started to feel more like home, like a familiar place she felt she belonged to. She almost made peace with it.