Darkness, Part 2 - Trials and Terrors

There are lands stripped of any and all life and vegetation; vast wastelands devoid of the comforting color provided by grass beneath one's feet. There are natural landscapes dotted modestly with bushes and trees; places habitable and perhaps homey. Then, there are dark and thick forests; places as infamous and unnerving as Mewni's own Forest of Certain Death. Having faced many such places as these, there is a sense of comfort in knowing that you understand the terrors that await you out in the wild. But all of that knowledge could not have prepared them for what they were looking at right now. They didn't think such a thing could even exist: a place more horrifying than the Forest. And yet, here they were.

Star, Pony Head, Janna, and Tom paced forward ever so slowly, each looking through the trees which were arbitrarily strewn about and proceeded into the darkness, going on seemingly without end. None of them could squeeze out a single syllable. There wasn't a word or phrase that could capture the essence of this place. It wasn't the forest itself that caught them off guard; the place actually looked like an ordinary forest would anywhere else in the world. What was really unnerving was the feelings of dread inexplicably trickling down their spines. Logic dictates that roaming woods at night in storm is what pushes one's fears to their limit. But now they learned that the perfectly calm scenery has not only the same effect, but rather perhaps an even greater impact on their psyches. The stillness of lurking death hung over every inch of their surroundings.

"Uhm, maybe we should go back," said Pony Head with a shivering voice.

Star didn't want to admit it, but the thought did cross her mind. "No. I came her for Marco and I'm not going back without him."

"Girl, all of us might not make it back! This place is making me nervous. I don't like being nervous! It's ruining my beautiful young skin."

Star turned to Pony Head. "Are we friends, Pony?"

"Wha?"

"Are we still friends?"

"Yeah. Yes, of course."

"Then as a friend I'm asking you to help me find him."

"I would love to, but-"

"I love him. You might not know how it feels, but I can't lose him. I was so close to-" Star suddenly silenced her voice, revealing a faint tear in her eye.

"What's wrong, Star?" asked Tom.

After a few seconds she shook her head and wiped away the tear. She had a reputation to uphold - a rebel princess. And people like her don't cry; they take action first, and do whatever reckless things they have to, consequences be damned. She raised her body confidently to convince herself and the others that she wouldn't turn back for anything. "I wanted to propose to him."

The biggest reaction came, as usual, from Pony Head. "You whaaaaaaa???!?!"

Tom was more calm, although not necessarily stoic. "Don't you think that is a bit much?"

"I had a ring prepared."

"A ring?" wonderred Tom. "What for?"

"It's a custom on Earth. You are supposed to give a ring to the person you wish to spend the rest of your life with."

She pulled a tiny black box out of her pocket. When she opened it they could see a small ring with several small, shiny rocks.

Pony Head studied it with great disappointment. "This looks underwhelming." She turned to Janna. "Is this really how you humans handle this kinda stuff?"

"Oh yes," she agreed. She came closer to Star to patted her on her shoulder. "You should definitely give him the ring. He'll be thrilled."

Janna smiled at her, which would normally make Star question her motives, but right now she was too worried about missing the opportunity of her lifetime.