Chapter 19: not what you expected

Talon:

How much time has passed? A week? A month?

I couldn't really tell. There wasn't a muscle in my body that didn't ache. I had so many cuts and bruises that I lost count.

A noise caught my attention. I looked up at the guards by the door, they reached for their necks and sunk to the floor.

A person, a girl I think, in a robber mask and an MAD uniform, walked in, and hurried closer once she reached the door. She shot the chains that were holding my arms up, and I fell limply into her arms.

"Pe... Penny?" I asked with what little voice I had. She pulled off her mask.

Bushy, fiery red hair was pulled into a bun and her skin was olive coloured. "No, I'm not Penny. But she's here." She said. "Wh- where is she?" I asked, becoming concerned.

She pressed the comm in her ear. "Team Leader, damsel is found. Are we good for exit?" She said.

Silence. "Team Leader, come in."

More silence. "Team Leader?"

Penny:

I could hear Kayla clearly. "Team Leader? Penny?" Her voice resonated in my ear.

"Her comm is working, why isn't she answering?" David tuned in.

"Get to the gathering point. I'll be there in five." I answered.

"Team Leader, we can't get out of here without you." Travis came through. "Talon can show you the way out. If I'm not there in exactly five minutes, go without me." I said and switched my comm off.

My mask was off, and I was facing a topless Dr. Claw, his robotic hands red with blood. Blisters and bruises covered his skin. He had leeches on his arms, and he was slowly picking them off one by one.

He tossed them into a bath behind him. "When I lost my hands, I had increased blood pressure because of my missing limbs. Doctors refused to treat me. So I found an alternative. Leeches, a natural blood thinner. Remarkable, isn't it." He spoke with an eerily calm voice.

"You should be ashamed of yourself. Beating your nephew within an inch of death."

"Oh, he's not my nephew. I found him as a baby, crying in an abandoned mine. I took him in as my nephew, raised him to become a fine soldier, prepared to do my bidding. And this," he said pointing to me, "is how he repays me. By falling for the enemy."

"He didn't fall in love because he wanted to betray you! He didn't have any control over it! And I will not allow you to hurt him any longer because of it!" I said, moving into a fighting position.