Chapter 6 [Rewrite]

"NARUMI-SAN!!"

"NARUMI-SAN!!"

.

The teacher's assistant screamed shrilly, dramatically falling to his knees in front of the closed door and pressed himself against it.

"Noooooo!!! Come back!!"

The watching students sweat at the sight before them, so pitiful and miserable that some can't help but feel sorry for him. Mikan, who was ready to lunge at the door, stopped and stepped back, stunned by the assistant's desperate action.

She gaped in shock.

On the other hand, far in the back, Miharu who was spooked by the loud clamors, quickly curls up in her seat as if some sort of self-defense mechanization has been activated, heedless of the eyes that bore down at her from all around her.

Ruka couldn't help but stare – she really did look like a hedgehog.

(He can see the animal image overlapped with hers.)

By his side, Natsume groaned lowly as the noises stir his headache awake. Chin tilted down, he barely stays conscious as he blinks sluggishly, lids getting far too heavy. He had been ready to go to sleep when his name was announced but held back vigorously when a new character arrived and Ruka's name was called out, his eyes blinked awake despite the exhaustion.

Hissing under his breath, Natsume squinted against the harsh light he saw through the eyes-slits of his mask.

He grimaced, eyes stung.

Pivoting to his direction when he noticed his friend's discomfort, Ruka fusses over the boy as discreetly as he could be. His light blue eyes wavering with concern as Natsume's bruises noticeably darkened and his shoulders seem to slump down further. He could practically see exhaustion weighing him down.

To his left, Miharu sniffled against her knees, ears ringing.

(She bit back a whine that threatened to slip out, clawing at her throat cruelly.)

Hidden eyes flicked toward her, Natsume let his lip from tugging down into a deep frown – even if he doesn't want to, he has no energy to lift his facial muscle. He didn't resist the brief irritation that flares up whenever some stranger – or anyone he couldn't or doesn't want to bother with – enters his comfort zone.

Tired but alert, he took in her appearance with mild curiosity as he pushed back the throbbing behind his eyes. It was obvious that her past wasn't easy, her body show clear sight of abuses and malnutrition, so it wasn't strange that she would be so skittish and for Narumi to coddle her so much – Natsume knew now that she could be useful if he goes against the man, heh.

While that was an important fact to note about this girl, what really caught his attention were the earring on her ear and the rings adorned on her thin fingers.

Dangling on the ear visible to his sight when her hair slid away was a thin rectangular red ruby earring, the brilliant colour – (It reminds him of blood) – stood out against the paper pale skin of the girl and her jet-black strands. When he looked down, he could see two plain silver rings on her left hand's index and middle finger – the digits clenching onto the fabric of her black cardigan around the shoulders, joints and bones showing far too much.