9: Ella

ELLA

Regret. Holy shit I'm regretting last night. I hurt everywhere. My head is pounding, my muscles ache, and I basically feel like I got hit by a eighteen wheeler. My dreams were all trippy and strange. As cool as it was to see colors everywhere, I'm glad I'm awake now. I'm also really lucky I didn't throw up. Ew. I shudder at the thought. I don't know how I managed to shower off but I was clean and in bed asleep before my mom made it home. She knows I went out, though.

Mom used to be really uptight about all this stuff and was constantly on my case till after the accident. Is it that bad to want some fun for once? I think she realized that holding me back so much would only make me push harder. I can't help it, I'm seventeen for god's sake. I'm gonna fuck up sometimes.

My mom has two best friends, one of whom is Chelsea's mom. It can be a little tough when they are always sharing information but they get along great which is really good. Her other best friend is a woman who runs a teacher training company. Mom did work with Mary about teaching landscape architecture and that's how they met. Mary is ten years older than my mom.

Then there's Patrick. Patrick and my mom have been dating for about three years. He's actually pretty cool. Patrick is the CEO of a huge Eco building supplies company. He's rather rich and takes us on all these cool trips and vacations. Although my mom's favorite is when he takes her into the city for a fancy dinner/night out. You can tell Patrick really loves her and that's what is important.

I appreciate that Patrick doesn't try to exclude me. He gives me space but also gives me the option to join in when they do cool activities. One time we went on a cruise to the Caribbean for two weeks. I have never seen water so beautiful in my whole life. You could see straight to the sand bank under the crystal clear waves. It was paradise. I love California with all my heart but the Caribbean is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to.

I take another quick shower, once I climb out of bed, to help deal with the hangover. Once again, regret. My phone starts to ring as soon as I step out if the shower. Chelsea and Cris want to go shopping for cute fall clothes and I agree to meet them for lunch and shopping at one. I plan on getting breakfast with my mom at our favorite café. I decide to wear a simple pain of dark wash mini shorts with frayed hems and a tribal print tank top that's loose enough to show some skin on my waist but keep from looking trashy. Black vans and black bangles complete my outfit for today. It's simple but so it's perfect for today.

The café sits on the corner by the local grocery store and some small shops and restaurants. Every Saturday, there's a special of apple maple syrup on French toast. It's the best French toast you will every find. We take a seat by the window and prepare to order. I enjoy breakfast but throughout the whole time, I have this feeling like someone's watching me. It's probably nothing but post-hangover paranoia but after the SUV, I just want to stay on the safe side. Mom and I finish breakfast and I hug her goodbye.

"Bye, see you later mom," I say with a hug.

"Love you, darling," she kisses my cheek.

"Love you too, mom," I reply before heading to my car.

The sky is grey and foreboding with massive clouds heavy with rain. The sun is hidden behind the suffocating clouds and it looks more like dusk than two in the afternoon. I can tell it's going to rain at some point today so I look for a parking spot close to the entrance to the mall. Plus, being close to the front means more people and cars around me to help me feel safe. My instincts are usually right though... Something's going on for sure but I'm just not sure what exactly and what it has to do with me. When will I feel safe again? I flinch every time I see another black SUV and let me tell you, there's a lot of those out on the roads. With all the jumping in fear that I'm doing, it might as well look like I'm having a seizure. Come on universe, why me?