chapter 2

The clutter of my mother and sister washing the dishes together mixed with the songs of crickets as the wind rustled through the trees echoed around me, the cold air pinching the bare parts of my body.

"Oh dear," my father giggled, closing the open window I sat next to, "we should close this, shouldn't we?" He pressed a kiss against the top of my head and went back by the fire to gather a large bowl of soup. Careful not to spill it's content, he picks up a thin blanket that laid on another chair. He placed the soup on the table and the blanket on my shoulders.

"Can you tell me about what happened? My accident, I mean." I asked, taking him by surprised as well as my mother who instantly stopped her quick movements, frozen.

"Well, of course," he answered with a confident laugh. "It was during the wall's — what was it, I can't seem to remember." He paused for a moment, deep in thought as he pressed his finger against his chin and looked up, as if the answers to his missing memory, and mine, is above him.

"Oh that's right, that's right— it was during the wall's collapse, while everyone was all wild and runnin' about all crazy because you know," he laughed, "titans are mean!" He joked around, pretending that titans aren't monsters who would swallow our whole village without a thought.

"You were working in a school when news broke, or at least that's what your, uh, your boss told us. I reckon we might still have that letter— honey! Do you still have that letter?"

"What letter?"

"The letter from that boss, oh I guess that doesn't matter." His stories were always like this, always so puzzling due to the fact that it's so jumbled and unorganized as if he knew it as much as I did. If it's exactly the same as last time, and the time before, this would be where he'd stop and "out of no where" remember he needed to do something, or mother would need him to get something from the neighbors or fields or storage or any other excuse they can muster up.

"Dinner's ready," mother then chimed, right on time.

We ate in silence. Even my younger brother not slurping his food with my mother's warn "or else I'll let you sleep with the hays" are missing from the table, everyone's thoughts filled with the event from earlier today.

"I heard the Survey Corps-" my little brother, Christopher, softly whispered but my father quickly interrupted him.

"They were just here to ask for some corn for their next mission, that's all." He spoke slowly and softly with a smile on his face just the same.

"Why would they come to us for food, we're the farthest village from the-"

"Why, how do you expect me to know everything about the Corps?" He yelled at me in response, shocking everyone that was present at the table. "I've lived here my whole life, I barely even go into the city. This is news to me s'much it is to you."

My little brother quietly apologized for bringing the subject up and I next for furthering it, leading the table back into the silence it began in.

"You look exactly like her," the memories from earlier today started flooding back into my mind as I continued to eat, my eyes not once leaving my reflection against the soup.

"You must've gotten me mistaken for somebody," I continued to repeat myself, my voice getting softer as my guilt started to rise, seeing his face continue to hurt.

"I can't," he whispered, "I wouldn't get her mistaken for someone else. You, I mean." He cussed under his breath and turned his head to the side.

Hearing the footsteps of others coming towards us, I panicked as I saw my mother and sister quickly making their way to me.

"Do you remember the tree?" He asked, and I shook my head no, backing away from him before they got to me. "It's, it's-" he stuttered before he got interrupted.

"What did I say about talking to strangers?" My mother said through gritted teeth. I struggled to form words, fear rising over me as I've never seen my mother so angry before.

"Come on, Miki," she exclaimed, leaving the man, Levi as he stated, behind.

"The tree," I repeated in my mind.

I would have dreams about things that I couldn't remember afterwards, only recalling the fact it felt like a nightmare with how fast my heart had beat as I woke up. And when asked about the tree, I don't know if it was due to my angered mother closing in on me, but it brought the same affect as the said dreams.

Maybe I'll remember what happened to me, what truly happened. Not just the sugar-coat followed by the same excuse that mother and father would act upon me. Not just the simple, "you had a minor accident", because as much as they make me feel as though, I'm not an idiot.

"I know that there's more to it," I whispered to my sister as I got my things prepared as she looked at me with tired eyes. Giving up trying to cease me, she sat by my bed and sighed.

"You don't even know where you're going."

"I'll ask around," I spoke clearly now, determination filling my eyes. "I'll ask about the Survey Corps, that Levi guy. He seemed to know more about who I am than anyone in this house-"

"Don't say that-"

"It's true," I exclaimed, which was then followed by a pause to hear any type of sound coming from the outside, coming from my parents.

"Every time I ask, Micki, they can never answer it. It's as if they don't know it themselves," finally making my way out of the house and through the cold air of the night sky, I turned back to see my sister holding in like she wanted to tell me something she couldn't, or wasn't allowed.

"Why do you want to go so badly," her voice croaked.

"Because how can a minor accident erase my memory completely?"