Accident Prone

It was a bright Thursday morning and Mike hated it. It woke him up before time and he couldn't go back to sleep so he decided to go for a jog around the block before school.

 He returned and got ready to go teach kids maths which he personally thought was unnecessary and wouldn't benefit them. What sort of job uses algebra?

 At school, there was the usual hateful greeting between he and the female teachers especially Mrs Jones and Mrs Knight who were the 'apple of his eyes'.

 Halfway into teaching, he received a phone call. He cut it off and returned to his job. It rang again and he cut it off but it still persisted. With an apologetic look to the class, he walked out of the room.

 Outside, he answered the phone with frustration.

 "This better be worth my time!" He said into the phone.

 "Oh I'm sure it is." Mike recognised the voice as the doctor's. He did because the doctor had been chit chatting at the time they went to get the test done. He adjusted his posture and the look on his face relaxed and turned into an anxious look. "Doctor, is everything ok?"

Back in the class, there were whispers in the air but stopped when he closed the door.

"Alrighty class! Why don't you attempt problem 6.4 page 39, ok?"

He looked toward Imogen but she was busy flipping the pages of her book with a pen in her mouth. He continued looking at her until she eventually felt his gaze on her and looked up.

Smiling at her, he nodded.

She shook her head in a gesture to indicate that she didn't comprehend what he was saying.

He nodded again, this time, frantically.

She thought for a moment and then she looked at him, eyebrows raised and pointed to him and then her.

He definitely comprehended and nodded excitedly.

The look she had on her face was completely worth it. It was somewhat same as the one in the mall but this one was better.

Across the room, Regina Simons watched as the pointing and nodding and smiling scene unfold quietly.

Regina Simons was a dangerous girl.

After his last class with, Mike left the school. Moments later, Imogen's new phone made a noise. There was a message sent and it was probably Kirby, her friend or Mike. Stealthily, she reached for her backpack pocket which was behind her wheelchair. She reached for it, but didn't feel it. She attempted to ask the person behind her but Mrs Knight was looking towards their direction.

"Imogen, what are you trying to do?" Mrs Knight inquired.

"Oh nothing, just ...scratching my leg," she replied and after a moment added, "sorry,"

Mrs Knight returned to explaining what Bassanio, in the Merchant Venice was saying.

Imogen returned to trying to reach her bag and as Mrs Knight turned to the board, she leaned to her right, over the wheelchair because to her left was the wall. Her bag was way back and against the wall. She stretched her hands and leaned so much. But Imogen was not destined to get to her phone that day. For at that moment, before she could stop herself, she and the wheelchair all tumbled sideways. Unfortunately for her, she hit her head really hard on the tiled floor.

 Mrs Knight hated teaching literature. It wasn't her best subject. She missed when she taught physics with happiness and joy. Literature was dead. No fun, no practical stuff except for acting the scenes out which the kids were terrible at. It would have been better at least to have taught biology as she had studied nursing in her young age but dropped it because she felt more passion for physics and decided to teach it.