Life is full of surprises.

Mike had promised not to drink anything alcoholic until the night of Friday, but this thursday night, he found himself with a can of beer and a box of pizza apparently 'living the life.' Mrs Jones, the school principal, had given him a strict warning about his late coming and had made him promise, like a little boy, never to do so again.

As he laid down there, an unexpected but natural thought occurred to him. I'm 43 and have no family. I've got to do something about that. But right now I've got a beer to finish. It's the 4th of July and calls for unnecesary celebration. Tomorrow is Friday, 5th July and the kids have got a field trip to go to so I'd better get some sleep.

He got up and went to bed but not before calling some of his friends that he would be attending the dinner party they were hosting the next day.

The next Friday morning, Mike arrived at the school early and he was happy for it because he got really good parking space.

After 10 minutes, Mrs Jones, the school Principal arrived looking all good in her casual wear -skinny jeans, black t-shirt and khaki coloured converse. Mike was surprised as he had never actually seen her in anything apart from her business-looking suits. As she walked toward Mike in the corridor, her black ponytail swayed from left to right. Her simple look making her look instantly younger.

"Mr Dawson, I'm glad to see you early today. I guess you are as excited for the hiking trip as the kids are," she said not smiling and flipping her side-fringe for no apparent reason because it was not in her eye.

"Yeah, I woke up early and I couldn't sit at home so I just decided to drop by here," he replied not smiling too but not flipping his hair. He looked down at her as if trying to point out to her that she was really short.

"Alright, I wish you would do that more often," she said with a small sigh before leaving.

As she walked away and walked further down the corridor, he turned to her and mimicked her quietly, "I wish you would do this more often. Well you can't make me." But as he walked back to the class, he couldn't help getting the feeling that she actually could.

As he sat there with his head on the table, he heard someone come in the class. He raised his head to see two girls walk in whispering and giggling. Typical. But when they saw him, they gave him a shy smile, quietly dropped their empty-looking backpacks and walked out giggling again.

The next person to come in was no other than Imogen Dalton. She came wheeling herself inside. When he saw her, he gave her a cheerful smile. She returned the smile and wheeled up beside him.

"Special day, huh?" He asked looking at her.

"The trip you mean?"

"Yeah."

"I'm a little worried thought."

"Why?"

"Well you know, the doctor had warned me about-"

"-extreme heights," he completed. "Right. I'm sure you will be okay. And if anything happens I'll be right there just look for me. Remember I know all your dosages."

"Sure," she said. "Thanks." She loosened the worried look and actually looked a bit relieved. Silence and then, "You know it's not just a special day because of the trip."

"Really?" Mike said surprised.

"It's July 5th and it's-"

"-your birthday!"

The moment he said it, a boy walked in. A tall boy in black shorts and red shirt carrying a Nike backpack identical to what Imogen was carrying today. The moment he walked in, Mike noticed that Imogen got really quiet and wouldn't look away from her hands which were on her lap.