1. From the Start

Kayla's P.O.V*.*.*.*.*.*

I waited patiently for my mother to come home. The warm summer air was engulfing my skin in a sweat silk layer as I bounced my knee, silently wishing I was allowed to turn on the air.

A stumble on the porch followed by the slamming of the door opening and closing drew me from my day dreams and thoughts as I stood up quickly from the couch.

"Food?" my mother's rasped voice from years of smoking slurred as she sat down in the kitchen.

"Yes, of course," I smiled slightly as I placed the bowl of soup in front of her. She slowly ate it, loud, obnoxious noises accumulating from her throat every time she wheezed a cough.

"Hm, wine? Red," My mom's fingers pinched a new cigarette as she brought the flame of a match towards her face. She drew in the smoke and slowly let out the puffs before looking at me expectantly, "Well?"

"Oh, yes, I apologize," I fumbled for my words as I quickly got out a wine glass, filling it one inch from the brim with aged, red wine. The thin yet thick liquid swished in her cup as she quickly drank the blood like substance. I dazed out again, waiting for her to leave to her room like she normally does after this last request. Something must have been different as I heard her voice.

"Dear, go out into the woods for a little. I have a few... Friends coming over," She smirked a wicked smile as she crushed the cigarette on the table, twisting it left and right before standing up, "Well hurry up now."

"Wait, what about Andrew and Salen," I asked.

"Silly, little girl. You should know by now, your siblings are never coming back," she hissed, drawing her hand up. The numbing burn ripped across my cheek as I stumbled back slightly, "Now leave before I do much worse."

Scurrying out the back door, I grabbed my white high top All Star converse that I kept outside the door, and laced them up one before the last loop. My yoga pants and 'Dr. Who' t-shirt were the only things keeping me warm. Goose bumps prickled my skin as I made my way deeper into the woods. Even though it was summer, the wind was wicked and cold. The trees grew denser, and every now and then, a dead one would be leaning on a live, plush one for support.

The wind picked up, and I felt my skin tighten in a mechanism to keep warm. The moon shattered through the clouds in a eerie light in its full shape. I glanced around in the dark forest, watching as small animals scurried across the paths and up trees or in small burrows. Large deer dashed away, but not from me.

I whipped my head to the direction from which they were running. My heart pounded as I walked towards what ever scared the innocent deer. The loud growl slicing the air stopped me mid-step. My heart sped even faster as I held my breath.

"Hello," I whimpered slightly, looking into the dark. Another growl sounded around us causing me to gasp. The sound of strange popping and cracking sounded through the air.

"Mine," A deep voice growled. My eyebrows furrowed as I tilted my head slightly.

"Wha-" I stopped as a body pressed mine against a nearby tree. A man, about twenty-one, stood in front of me. His green eyes bore into my hazel ones, and I couldn't find it in me to look away. I could see his dark brown hair pushed up into a quiff sort of fashion, his cheek bones, and his chiseled chin. His very masculine frame, covered only by a pair of basket ball shorts, stood at at least 6'6 in comparison to my 5'1 frame.

Sparks hit my body where ours bodies touched, and the feeling was natural, yet I knew it was unnatural.

"Mate," He murmured, placing his hands on my hips. He looked at me for a moment before licking his lips.