3. Alive or Dead

"Kayla we need to go, then," Eli's eyes were wide as he yanked on my arm. I nodded, pushing down the sinking feeling in my stomach. The fear already pulsing through my veins as I started running behind Eli was driving my heart beat to its extent. The fact that fear sparkled in Eli's eyes also put me on edge, and the other point that running will draw attention to us, drove me off the deep end.

"I mind linked Graham," Eli shouted over his should at me, "He said one of those creatures has been spotted. You were right. We need to get back right now or-"

Eli didn't seem to want to finish as he shut his mouth, eyes darkening to near black. His jaw ticked as he pushed himself harder to run. Sweat was already starting to bead my forehead from fear, confusion, adrenaline, and exhaustion, but I put my full force into the sprint just before we reached the tree line to the pack house.

Graham stood there the moment we broke from the woods, stumbling to the safety of being able to see most things. I was gasping for air, my eyes wide as my spine stiffened, my stomach twisting.

"Graham, she-she could sense it was close and it didn't even know there was one," Eli panted, "and damn, she can run."

"No time for joking." Graham growled, turning to me after, "how could you sense it?"

"I-I don't know. I knew something was coming, something bad. I don't know how to explain it," my head was reeling with thoughts as I hugged myself and squeezed my eyes shut, "I could feel almost everything around me."

"You don't look so good," Eli murmured, his eye brows furrowing as he took a step closer to me, "you look like your about to faint."

"N-no, I am fine," I assured him, my breaths slowly coming back. I lied, of course. My head was light, and my vision kept getting lined with little white spots and darkening around the edges.

"You sure?" Eli asked. Graham suddenly growled, his green eyes darkening to black.

"She said she was fine," Graham bit out, his arms shaking. I stumbled forward involuntarily, my balance lacking. Graham's eyes widened and the blackness in his eyes disappeared. He caught me before I stumbled again.

"Kayla? Kayla, are you ok?" Graham's voice seemed too distant to grab as my feet stumbled over each other. I caught my balance, trying to stand on my shaking knees.

"Hm? Oh, yeah," I mumbled, "I just really have to go to sleep."

"Ok?" Graham said hesitantly in more do a question. I nodded and gave a small, timid smile. I quickly grabbed Graham's arm as I felt myself stumble again, my breath hitching as I expected the fall. Thankfully, nothing came, and I began my way back into the pack house with Graham watching me closely to make sure I didn't fall.

By the time I got to my bedroom, I felt like I could stand anymore and my knees felt numb. I sat down on my bed, my head pounding, feeling light yet heavy on my neck. Eli had returned to his bedroom upon Graham's request and Graham, as always, stood in front of my bed.

"You didn't show up for dinner," he said flatly. I nodded, my lips pursing when another jolt of pain shot through it.

"Fell asleep," I muttered. It was partially true. While pretending to be asleep, I fell asleep.

"You might be hungry," Graham said, "You didn't eat dinner yesterday either."

I shook my head, regretting the movement soon after.

"No, I am probably just tired. Or-"

"Kayla, you are eating. I don't give a shot how tired you are, you are eating," Graham growled. I flinched at his tone, my mind flashing to my mother as I forgot about my head for a moment.