Epilogue

A/N

make sure you read chapter 41 before you read this!! They were updated simultaneously!!

enjoy, loves!

Thomas's pov

*18 years later*

"Because Dylan hadn't said goodbye. He just said see you later," I finished, smiling a tender, reminiscent grin down at the kids seated in front of me.

"That's not it, is it?" Riley asked from her seat in front of me. Her glasses had fallen off the perch of her nose and were resting lowly as she stared at me with a wide-opened jaw. She straightened, violently grabbing the leather-bound journal from my hand.

I chuckled lowly, replying, "I'm sorry sweetie, but I'm afraid that's the whole story."

"But--" beside her, Ethan perked up, "you didn't even get married! He barely even forgave you!"

"Would you have taken me back?" I countered, raising an eyebrow.

"Of course!"

I sighed, taking back the journal that Riley had just stolen. They were kids, I reminded myself. Children are forgiving and naive.

Riley's lip began to wobble and I quickly pulled her into my arms. She was light, thin, and blonde--characteristically very similar to me, despite being only adopted. Ethan, her older brother, crawled forward and placed his head on my knee.

"Listen, guys," I said, hushing Riley. "This story was never about Dylan and I falling in love. Do you understand why we told you this story?"

Riley shook her head, shoving her face into the crook of my neck. Ethan's eyes were staring accusatory lines out of the room, burning holes through the doorway.

I simpered. "I told you," I looked between them, "because I don't want you to make the same mistakes I did. When you're older and are choosing between popularity, reputation, and who you really are, I want you to do what feels right. But most of all, I don't want you to get so caught up in yourself that you forget about everyone else. I was so focused on myself that I ended up losing the person I cared most for in the world. I don't want you to make the same mistake."

"Stupid Reggie," Ethan pouted. Despite just coming into his pre-teen, brooding years, he too looked affected.

I laughed. "Yeah, stupid Reggie."

Riley sniffled into my neck. I was prepared for her tears, but she startled me when she suddenly sprang to her feet with a yell.

"Mr. Dylan!" she exclaimed, marching over with fists bared. She charged into his waist with a huff, clawing at his pant leg. Dylan looked down at her in surprise, obviously not expecting to be attacked when he stepped through his kitchen doorway.

"You're mean!" she shouted. Her tiny, little four-year old fists pounded into his thigh to show her frustration. "You didn't forgive my Daddy!"

Dylan looked up at me with raised eyebrows. His hair had faded to a salt and pepper gray now that he was in his early forties, but he was still as undeniably lean and attractive as the first day we had met. My eye caught on his ringless left-hand--an exact copy of my own.

"Yes I did," he said, scooping her up into his arms. I couldn't help but notice the odd glint in his eye. "Your Daddy was just a real big idiot that made a few too many asshole mistakes."

"Dylan!" I scolded. I got to my feet and walked towards them, outstretching my arms for Riley. "Language, please."

Behind me, Ethan got up too. "At least you guys are friends still," he said, although he still looked disappointed.