Chapter 8 - I'm Innocent I Swear!

I thank Gia for letting me borrow her car as I grab her keys, heading out of our house into the bright Italian sun.

My date a few days ago with Vincenzo was absolutely perfect, but on this gorgeous morning, I decide I need new outfits if we are going to keep seeing each other.

Sitting in the driver's side, it feels weird having no one else in the car with me. I double check that I have my credit cards. My father and I went through a whole ordeal to transfer the money he made to offshore accounts that are untraceable so I can have a living, and he left me quite a lot.

He always wanted the best for me. Drug dealer or not, my dad cared so much about me and my mother. He always made sure we were comfortable and safe, and I miss my parents so much.

Surprisingly, driving on the other side of the road is an easy adjustment. I listen to the GPS on my phone as I navigate the tight roads to the shopping areas.

My mind drifts to my date with Vincenzo. Everything about that night is still so perfect to me. The food, the ambiance, the feel of his hands on mine, and the feel of his lips crushing into mine in his car before he dropped me off at home.

I smile to myself, enjoying the shade cascading over my face from my hat and glasses. My brown hair is tied back, it's just the little details that makes me feel more safe. I know in a year or two I can mellow out with the protection, but for now I have to be as safe as I can.

I know an alone shopping trip is risky, but it needs to be done. At home, I had a different outfit to wear every day but I keep wearing the same things over and over here, and I'm starting to get sick of it.

I live in the fashion capital of the world, why shouldn't I have more clothes?

I park my cousins bright car in a row of other muted colors, wondering why Gia chose such an obnoxious color.

I lock the doors and walk down the street, thankful for the heat of the day. It reminds me of Miami, I've become so accustomed to the heat and humidity that I actually miss it.

I enter the closest store with cute clothes hanging in the window, and remove my glasses. The store owners greet me, and I respond in the best Italian that I can muster.

Damn, I really need to learn this language, and Vincenzo isn't helping because the only things he say to me in Italian are very very dirty.

I run my fingers over a flow white blouse, and take it off the rack, heading to the changing room.

Just then, three men enter the shop too. They look a little out of place, dressed in all black, sporting black leather jackets in this much heat definitely makes them look off.

I don't pay them much attention and I try on the shirt. It comes off my slender shoulders as the banded material secures itself across my chest and to the side of my shoulders. The sleeves are not full length, and they flair out like a renaissance outfit.

I adore off the shoulder shirts, partly because of the fashion aspect and partly for the extra skin exposure to the sun.

God I love the sun.

I jump as theres a loud clatter out in the shop, and I freeze in the dressing room. Did one of the huge burly men accidentally knock something over with their bulky bodies? Did the store owners drop a product?

Something inside me says that it's something else.

Trapped in this small changing room, I start to freak. I whip out my phone and start to text Gia.

Me: G, I think that theres someone out to-

My texting is cut short as the changing room door bursts open with an insane power. I scream as the burly men stand at the opening of the dressing room, their hands reaching for me and ripping me out of the dressing room.