{4: I Have To Finish My Job}

madison's pov. en route to USA.

Here I sit on the plane, feeling guilty. I would be excited to see Aliyanova in these circumstances, but I'm not. I'm supposed to kill her. Maybe it'll be easy. I hope it is. Just an ambush, that would be easy.

Why am I dreading killing her? I scowl at myself. Aliyanova is the one who left me. That's what General Kornikiv reminded me. Aliyanova had promised she wouldn't leave me. But she did. So I had to suffer these past 5 years, with no one to talk to.

My mind goes back and forth, not knowing which side to side on. Do I still love Aliyanova? Or should I hate her because she left me? I must do the job they gave me, or I will be as hunted and in danger as Aliyanova.

They have surveillance on me, and I have a tracker somewhere.

I'm locked in. I have to finish my job.

natasha's pov. airport parking lot, USA.

"Nat, stop pacing. It's not going to bring Madison here sooner," Cap protests in annoyance.

Suddenly, my phone buzzes. It's a text from Madison, and my heart jumps.

Madison

Sorry ali, I got off the wrong side of the airport
Can you pick me up by the grove of trees? Can't wait to see you :)

Sure be there in a second

"Steve, she wants us to meet her on the other side of the airport. By the forest." I climb back into the car and buckle up.

"Sounds fishy." Steve says slowly, backing the car out of the parking spot.

I sigh audibly. "Why is everyone so suspicious? She's a child."

"A child with a dangerous ability," Steve says, shaking his head.

I shake my head and lean back in my seat as we take the road around the airport.

madison's pov. near airport, USA

My heart skips a beat every time a car drives past the spot I'm hiding in, causing me to feel light headed. Maybe it's because I'm jetlagged or fatigued from the flight.

I must do what I must do, I tell myself. 

A car drives up and parks, and I fidget in the tree I'm perched in.

A woman, tall, red haired...Aliyanova! I want to jump down from the tree and grab her in a giant hug, tell her I missed her, and that I forgive her and understand why she left. But I can't. I gulp down the doubts and get into ready position as she comes closer to the forestline.

"Madison?" She calls into the forest. "Madison? It's Ali!"

I take another deep breath as she comes closer.

"Nat!" I see another man, blonde, tall, muscular get out of the car. Ali got married? I quickly forget my questions and focus on what I must do.

"Nat!" The man calls again. Ali turns and looks back. "She's not here. Call her again."

"Maybe something happened to her." Aliyanova insists, starting to come closer in.

"Madison? It's Ali. Are you ok?"

My heart feels a pang of guilt...she still cares about me. Of course she does. But not enough to have come back, huh?

"Natasha!" The man calls again, louder this time. I guess that's what they call her now. "I told you. This is suspicious. Come back before you get hurt."

I narrow my eyes at the man.

"Steve," Aliyanova sighs, "Please. Stop being suspicious. Once you see her, you'll trust her."

"Yeah, once I see her," the man she called Steve retorts, "But as of right now, I don't trust her. Why would she bring us here? Why wouldn't she go around or somewhere closer?"

Ali sighs again and pulls out her phone. I feel my phone ringing, and then the ring sounds loud and clear. I toss it silently into the bush across from me.

"Did you hear that?" Ali runs over to forest line once again. "There. Madison!!"

The phone rings again, and Ali steps inside the darkness of the forest. "Madison, if you're playing a prank on us, it's not funny."

"Nat." Steve calls out again, a warning tone in his voice. "I know you care about her, but you need to stop throwing away your brain for your heart.

I let out a whimper, and feel guilt hit me again, like a kick in the stomach.

"Madison?" Ali calls again.

She stoops across from where I hide and picks up the phone I dropped.

"Oh, no." She breathes, turning it over slowly.

Before I can chicken out, I leap out of the tree and land on top of her, delivering a swift punch across her face.

"Madison?" She grunts, and attempts to push me off. I punch again, and start to release my claws mid punch, but can't bring myself to do it. The part-claw punch brings blood.

Aliyanova grunts again and lift her head to slam it into mine. It doesn't combine well with the already-lightheadedness I got from the plane, and I crumple off of her. She leaps to her feet as I jump to mine.

I still have a mask on, and Aliyanova looks at me sharply. "Madison, what's going on?"

I reply with a flying kick into her gut, followed swiftly by a sharp uppercut. She catches my leg as I come down from the kick and flips me over. I fall on to the ground. Growling, I attempt to get up, but Aliyanova lifts me up by the back of my neck and removes my mask. I kick at her with my leg, causing her to release her hold, dropping me back onto the ground.

Aliyanova comes at me again with a series of kicks and punches.

"Don't make me use these," my voice shakes as I release my claws.

"Madison what's going on?" Ali says, looking me in the eye as she stands in a ready position.

I can't reply. I fly back at her with my feet, kicking her back into the tree and knocking the breath out of her.

"Madison," she groans, clutching her gut, "You promised..."

I stop, about to end her with a slash, but I can't breathe. I forced the tears to stay in my eyes.

"I have to finish my job," I reply weakly, raising my arm above my head.

I hear a sound behind me and turn to look as a flash of metal registers in my mind, before it hits me. Literally. I fly back, hitting a tree, and remember no more.

-

-

-

-

-

-