Chaper 1 (Part 4) - {Lucas Bell} - Leaving

We landed in a forest where I sent the dragon away; he flew gracefully until his entire spiritual body disappeared into the night.

I searched for wood and other supplies as the night was not too far away from the present time. The girl stood around in silence, with her long hair in knots and her blue eyes showed that she was deep in thought. I dumped the wood at her feet in anger from her lack of co-operation; she looked at me with disgust as she flicked her hair and walked away. She kicked all the dirt and rotting leaves out of her way before she finally sat down in a groove made in the trunk of a tree. I sat next to her and sighed as I collapsed my face into my hands as an act of despair, she looked at me as if she was contemplating the importance to speak.

"You might want to change into a spirit soon. You do know how to do that right?" The girl asked in a nasty tone as she stood and hovered around. I looked around with nerves which flooded me. Did she honestly think that our family – if gifted – would teach any generation how to use their powers?

I sat there, on the root of the tree in silence as she carried on about how hopeless I am and that my parents would be so disappointed in me if they knew that I couldn’t transform into my spirit-self. I stood up in absolute anger and focused on my breathing and imagined myself turning into a spirit, changing from toes to my head. I felt it, like a snake coiling around my legs and suffocating them with monstrosity.

I looked down and saw my transparent legs first, my jaw dropped in bewilderment as I hovered around singing in glee. The girl looked at me and then moved her hair out of her face in embarrassment and shame as I ran around in my newly found spirit form, I was so happy to have proved her wrong and accomplished something in the name of my parents. I could imagine their smiling faces looking down upon me now as I frolicked throughout the forest.

We walked in spirit form for hours on end; the best part was that spirits never get tired. We walked all the way across two towns to a smaller village that did not seem to occupy many people. I changed back into my human form before we officially entered the village. My legs were sore and blistered; my thighs were swollen and inflamed. My eyes were weepy and puffy. I looked horrible and I needed sleep. We walked into one of the many cabin-like-structures that surrounded the village; unlike our town they did not have the privilege of clean water.

We spent the night in this foreign town, I actually slept and we agreed that the girl spirit would stay guard. She hasn’t even told me her name, I thought to myself in my last few seconds of consciousness before the room went dark and I fell asleep.

"WAKE UP! WAKE UP YOU HUMAN!" I heard a voice yell at me with panic. I slowly opened my eyes, and rubbed away the blur that followed. I had absolutely no clue what was happening, why was she screaming? I walked out of the cabin to see people run in all kinds of directions like there was some invasion that I didn’t know about. I looked over in the opposite direction of the running people, I couldn’t see anything unfamiliar.

I stepped off the cabin porch to see an army of PBC soldier marching towards me. Each cabin they passed they sent four soldiers into it to find someone obviously. They threw a girl, with strange scars all over her body, onto the dirt track where she fumbled to stand up. She was small and skinny, her hair was orange and long, it reminded me of an elegant lion’s mane, which matched her eyes brown eyes perfectly. Her face was scarred and distinct in the light of the dawning sun; she looked scared and clueless as she was being thrown on the ground.

"Is there anyone here?" one of the soldiers asked, as the girl finally stood up and then he threw her back down on the floor once again. She smacked the ground really hard and I was half expecting her to have punched a hole, deep into the ground but she didn’t. A vibration was sent through the whole town vibrating everything within a fifty mile radius. A small voice spoke silently in my head, warning me, it said, "Run."