Chapter Fifteen - Traces of Energy

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Traces of Energy

Dinner was silent.  At least, nearly so.  The show was beautiful, but not half as enjoyable as it would've been if the Doctor had been enjoying it, too.  Rose didn't press him to endure any more entertainment.  His mind was elsewhere - with the Tardis, most likely - and he wasn't engaging.

As he stood on the balcony, still dressed from their evening out as he stared out at the city lights, she tried to determine if she'd be intruding by joining him.  Finally, she stepped out into the warm night air.  Too warm.  He'd taken off his jacket and draped it over the lounge chair, top few buttons unfastened and sleeves rolled up.  She immediately wished that there was something she could do to this dress to make it cooler or more comfortable.

"Guess you were right about it not really being classy anymore," she said quietly, remembering the shorts and tank tops and sandals worn by most of the patrons to the show they'd seen.  "I think we were the most overdressed pair in that theatre tonight." 

"I didn't mind."  He glanced at her as she approached and gave her a tight smile.  "You looked beautiful."

She paused as she leaned on the ledge beside him.  "Wherever we go next, it's got to be somewhere with no high heels."

His smile turned more genuine.  "No high heels.  Check."

"And someplace away from this heat.  Ya think?"

He nodded. 

Still grinning, she looked down at the lights, the long road stretched out in front of her.  Eiffel tower, pyramid, castle, roller coasters and waterfalls and neon lights everywhere.  If she listened, she could hear the sound of the city, even from way up here.

"Love the atmosphere.  So full of excitement and energy and hope..."

She glanced over and saw the Doctor staring through the glass wall in the direction of the Tardis, as if he could somehow see it through the closed doors inside. 

"You'd think this would be a really good place for the Tardis to find... you know.  Positive energy."

"Hmm?"  He glanced at her, brow raised, as she pulled him out of his thoughts.  "Oh, yeah.  I'm not worried about it.  Besides, we're not ready to leave anyway."

"Liar."

The shock and question was evident on his face.  She smiled reassuringly.  He took everything so seriously when he was worried.

"You say you're not worried, but I can see it all over your face."

"Alright, so I am worried.  A little.  Not much." 

"Why?"

He paused and took a quick breath, letting the smile fall into the serious look that was much closer to what he was feeling as he looked inside the suite again.  "I don't like my Tardis being broken," he said flatly.  "Brings back bad memories."

She wanted to ask what of, but she bit her tongue.  That was certainly not the way to elicit positive energy.  She watched him for a moment, staring into space as if the silence wasn't awkward to him.  Maybe it wasn't.  Maybe it was just her.  Finally, looking down at the city again, she licked her lips to bring moisture back to her mouth.

"I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to..."

His gaze shot to her as if she were intruding on something.  She could feel it, although she didn't look up.  "No, sorry," he answered.  "Not you.  Thinking again. Gotta watch that."