Chapter 13

Ace

      It's been four days since our little fight and we've just gotten off the boat. Throughout the whole trip, it's been an awkward silence. I mean we've talked, but only in each other's head and even then she ended the conversation quickly. She's angry with me.  I sigh. As of right now, we're walking through the forest back to the mansion. What's wrong with you? I perk up in her thought. So you are talking to me now? I look at her and smirk. She glances my way and then scoffs. Never mind. That was a stellar conversation...not. She walks faster.

    "Aiyana," I call. She only walks faster. I clench my fists. She's acting childish. "Aiyana!" I yell. She stops in her tracks.

     "What," she answers bitterly. 

      "I thought the issue between us was resolved," I say. Her whole demeanor softens as she didn't know she was acting angry towards me.

       "We have," she facepalms, "God, I'm sorry Ace, I'm just-ugh...I'm sorry I'm just not in the mood for talking, I'm tired," she smiles weakly at me. Why is she lying to me? She stiffens. I forgot she can hear me. "I'm not lying Ace, really I'm tired," she insisted. I sigh once again. 

         "Alright, then lets set up camp for the night," I decide. She smiles and nods. Which surprises me, usually when I offer her that she refuses or puts up a fight. Is she really that tired? We start a fire and sit on a nearby log. She sits on one end while I sit on the other. I'm worried. Don't be. Aiyana-Ace I'm fine. I look at her.

       "Are you really or are you just saying that so I leave you alone?" I ask. 

       "Yes, I'm alright, can we go to sleep now, I'm tired," she yawns. I want to comfort her, but I know she'll only push me away like before. I nod and she lays on the ground using her bag as a pillow. I only watch as she sleeps. Kinda creepy, but someone has to make sure she's okay and I'm the only one here besides herself. I move from the fire and sit next to her head. I'm sorry. I know she can't hear me, but...still. I hope these words find her. I know how badly she wanted to escape and how much she wanted me to agree and go with her. But, I can't betray my family no matter how bad they are, they're my family and I love them. She starts thrashing in her sleep. I look at her worried. She begins to cry.

      "Please," she begs, "please, please please," she repeats the words over and over again. I've had enough. I begin to shake her.

        "Aiyana, it's just a dream wake up," I encourage her. She continues to thrash around. "Wake up!" She shoots up pushes me away. I look at her confused. Did I do something?

        "A-Ace...?" she seems unsure as to if it's actually me. Yeah, it's me. She goes quiet for a second. We should go.

        "You just woke up from a nightmare and you want to leave?" I ask. She nods. and I watch as she gets up and grabs her bag. She starts to walk off, "Hey! Wait up!" I call after her. She continues to walk. Stubborn girl. I catch up and we walk I silence to the mansion. When we get there we are immediately taken to the throne room. Oh great, this should be fun. Aiyana looks at me worriedly as if she knows what's about to happen, but she should worry. She knows I won't let anything happen to her...right...? I see my father ss we enter the room. He looks angry and I watch a familiar female servant give my father a glass of wine and she looks back at Aiyana and gives her a hopeful glance. What? 

        "How was your trip," my mother asks. I smile. Of course, my mother isn't made she's always been the more lenient one. My father takes a sip of his wine.

        "Well-" I am cut off by my father coughing abruptly. What the...? Aiyana looks surprised and the female servant smiles while both my mother and I run towards my father. "Dad!" I exclaim. The female servants look turns fearful as my father's coughing subsides. S-she poisoned him? Is she an idiot! Not even the strongest poison can kill an Angel! The girl is slammed against the wall and she claws her throat.

        "YOU DARE TRY TO KILL ME, YOU FOOLISH GIRL," My father screams. Aiyana runs forward towards my father.

       "Emily! No! Your majesty, please stop!" she cries. Even my mother looks scared.  The girl's face becomes red. Ace do something she's my friend! I look at my father. 

       "Father please, she means something to my fiancee," I tell my father. He only grins. Oh no. This isn't going to be good.

       "Here's a lesson for you boy, even when they are your lovely wife's friends, if they have committed a crime against you, you have to kill them, now," he lets the girl go. She begins coughing on the floor. No, he's not gonna-"Kill her," I look at Aiyana and then my mother. Please Ace no! Aiyana begs her eyes watering. I frown. Ace, are you actually considering this? "Ugh, nevermind, I'll do it myself, since you clearly can't," he snaps the small girl's neck like a pencil. My mother looks away, tears in her eyes. I gasp.

        "EMILY!"