I'm allergic to vampires! Literally... Chp 18

Chapter 18

"But wh-why?" I stammered.

"I've become a full vampire therefore am qualified by law to enlist in the army if needed." He replied.

"Isn't there something you can do?"

"I can't oppose the council and if I join the army I'll be around other vampires so I won't reject the change."

"What if you...get hurt? Or-or worse?" I asked.

"Hey...calm down..." He hugged me to his chest. "I probably won't get put out in the field, not yet, its only been a couple weeks since I changed I doubt I'm at full potential."

"When do you...leave?"

"I have to report to the closest base in three days." I buried my face in his chest, pulling him closer. My heart was breaking, the one I trusted most was going to leave me here. Alone with Adrian. Even if we made up I wasn't one to trust so quickly. Not after Rayas.

"Sky...I promise I'll come back, don't worry..."

"But I have to worry, you're the only one I trust here now..."

"Then why don't you leave, you could go to slayer territory and from there-"

"And that's exactly what the vampires want, they'll be able to target where I am if I go into slayer territory."

"Are you sure you're safe here though? Adrian can't hold himself back now that he's got a taste of your blood."

"I know...if he needs it...I'll let him..."

"Sky, are you sure that's what you want?" He asked.

"It's not like I can say no, he can't control himself." He studied my face, looking like he was trying to reassure himself. He let out a sigh.

"Now that we understand what's going to happen in the future. I want to talk about the present."

"Present?" I questioned, confused.

"Yes, your giving me mixed signals..."

"What...?"

"You kissed me earlier...why?"

"Because I didn't want you to be mad about what Adrian did."

"So you simply used my feelings to distract me?" He asked.

"Galen, it was the only way to calm you down." He looked down at the floor.

"Forget it, it's not important." He mumbled, walking out of the room.

"Where you going?"

"I have to tell my parents their son has been drafted." I was silent and watched him leave. I felt guilt crawling at my insides. I hated that feeling. Okay Skyler let's review our problems, Jace won't break free from the council, Rayas is still after me, Adrian will be drinking my blood from what I suppose will be every day now and...Galen will be in the army in three days. Jace and Rayas problems I couldn't sort out now...but for Galen...I would spend as much time with him as possible before he left.

*

Why did this have to happen? Why him? Why not me? I should have been the one to have turned into a vampire....just not him. It wasn't fair, he wasn't a fighter, I was. A stake was jamming into my heart hearing his news, they cut me deep. I sat on the couch looking at my mother and Mr. Wayne. She sobbed into his shoulder, those ugly tears running down her pretty face. I trembled with rage at the thought of Galen leaving Skyler all alone, but he didn't have a choice...it was the army or prison. Neither he would be able to handle. We just had to be lucky he wouldn't be put on the field. I slowly got up and walked to the stairs ready to retire to my room. Dawn was approaching and I was tired as hell. I climbed the staircase and my eye caught something. Galen's door was open an inch and curiosity got the best of me. I peered through and the sight before me just pushed that stake harder into my heart. Galen held Skyler close as she slept, her breathing even.