006;5 Ways to Dress for less

Clothes are not just a basic human need, they are also a form of expression. From keeping up to date with the latest trends, to artistically showing your personality, clothing can get very pricey.

Here are five tips to make your money for clothing go further:

1. Buy the right size. Buying an outfit or item which is slightly too small, because we reckon we’ll lose some excess weight and enjoy it later, very seldom works. Buy what is flattering on you, right now.

2. Sell what you’re not wearing. Go through your closet and start chucking any items you haven’t worn in the last three months. There are a number of websites where you can sell clothes you no longer wear. You could also try asking your friends or on posting your ‘sale’ on social media. When you get cash for your old clothes, then you can buy some new ones.

3. Be creative. Altering and mending old clothes or clothes from the thrift store can be great fun, and give you a unique look. Try sewing some patches onto some jeans or a denim jacket.

4. Make sure you have the basics down. Get basic items like white T-shirts and skinny jeans that you can pair with other clothes and accessories.

5. Every time you think of buying an expensive item, think about a “cost-per-wear formula”: divide the item by how many times you think you’ll wear it over a certain period, for example, one year. This can help you decide if it will really be worth the expensive price-tag.

6.Thrift stores are not always jam-packed with clothes your grandmother would wear, but rather home to hidden gems and unique finds.

Take a trip to your local thrift store and browse through the items. You’ll be surprised at the quality of the garments.

It’s also the perfect place to find a vintage coat or handbag that will add effortless class to your outfit.

7.The sad truth is that retailers inflate the prices of their pieces exponentially depending on what season it is.

For instance, winter coats, jumpers and shoes will cost way more during the first month of winter than in the summer and the same goes for summer garments.

Plan a little ahead, and buy winter clothes in the summer months and stock up on bikinis and summer dresses in the winter.

Even if you have to wait a couple of months before wearing them, they’ll be hanging in your closet waiting for their time to shine.

8.You can never go wrong with a classic. Think crisp, white shirts, a pair of good-fitting jeans, a classic little black dress; these are all items that have wonderful longevity and will never go out of style.

Invest in classics and merely add to them, according to the current trends. You’ll always have a go-to outfit ready, and you’ll save a lot in the long run, too.

9.Online shops usually run specials on the daily. Whether it’s a 2-for-1 special or a sudden flash sale of up to 80% off, online retailers are looking for ways to attract people to their site and buy their garments.

Keep an eye on your favourite online retailers everyday and strike when the iron (in this case, sale or special) is hot.

(A/N I'm on an updating spree! Woo!)