020;5 Beauty Tips & Tricks That Are a Thing of The Past

Beauty trends have changed dramatically over the years. Just think about what women used to consider beautiful 100, 50 or even 40 years ago and you’ll realise just how vastly different beauty ‘looks’ have come.

Gone are the days of the bright blue eyeshadow and overplucked eyebrows of the 80’s, or the glitter-filled lipgloss of the early 2000’s.

Nowadays, beauty trends come and go, but are way more focused on the individual and how every person chooses to express themselves through their makeup or beauty routine.

However, there are some beauty tips and tricks from the past that should stay right there: in the past.

Here are our top five beauty tips and tricks that should stay a thing of the past.

Washing Your Hair Everyday

The rumour that you should wash your hair everyday started doing the rounds in the 80’s, when it was believed that washing your hair everyday was the only way to maintain a healthy mane.

That was the 80’s, however, when big hair was more popular than bright pink lipstick.

Nowadays, most hairstyles would recommend you shampoo and condition your hair between two and three times a week. This way, your hair will retain its natural oils more efficiently.

With all the styling tools (hair straighteners, blowdryers and curling tongs) we use today, you’re hair can definitely benefit from the extra moisture.

Over-plucking Your Eyebrows

This is another trend that started to form in the 80’s and unfortunately stuck around until at least 2012.

Over-plucking your eyebrows until there is almost no hair left, or completely plucking them and drawing them on by hand, is both unflattering and bad for the skin around the eyebrow.

Your eyebrows are the frame of your face, and natural yet well-kept eyebrows are way more flattering than barely-there brows.

If you have naturally thin brows, you can even fill in your brows to give it a better shape with an eyebrow pencil or eye-shadow.

Your Eyebrows Should Match Your Hair Colour

Sticking with the eyebrow theme, most women used to believe that your eyebrows should match your hair colour – even if you colour your hair a different colour to that of your natural hair colour.

This is definitely not true anymore. In fact, many fashionistas and celebs purposefully make their eyebrow colour much darker than their hair colour.

Blondes (dyed or natural) can now flaunt their dark brows.

Women With Curly Hair Can’t Pull Off Bangs

Because curly hair can be unruly sometimes, many people with curly hair simply avoided getting bangs and their stylists would encourage them to stay away from cutting a fringe as well.

While some stylists may still consider this to be true, with the right cut and right management and styling tools, any curly-haired woman can pull off a fringe – and in some cases, they look better than straight-haired bangs, anyway!

Only Wear Darker Lipstick in The Winter

This beauty ‘tip’ is almost as outdated as Victorian women using beets as blush.

Lipsticks, in any colour and any form, are very trendy right now. Makeup houses are constantly releasing new, bold and exciting colours for you to play with.

You can wear bright pinks and coral colours in winter or seductive burgundy and plum in summer and you’ll still look great!

When it comes to lipstick, anything truly goes, so have fun!

(A/N This one was kind of funny tho😂)