012;DIY Manicure

Who needs the beauty salon when you can get the perfect manicure right in the comfort of your own home? These seven easy steps will guide you on your journey to nailing your manicure.

Step 1: Get the right tools

These are the basic tools you will need for your DIY mani:
Metal foot file
Buffer
Cuticle pusher
Nail polish remover
Hand and nail cream
Buffing block
Nail clipper
Nail file
Cuticle scissors
Cotton bud and cotton pads.

Step 2: Clip and file

First clip your nails to your desired length. Then file your nails into your desired shape. The most popular choices are round, square, oval and square with slightly rounded edges. However, if you feel like stepping into the limelight, try out the edgy ‘stiletto’ shape – this is similar to the oval shape except that your nails end in a dramatic point.

Step 3: Cuticle care

First oil your cuticles with vitamin E oil or another moisturiser. Soak your nails for a few minutes, then dry them off and push back your cuticles.

Step 4: Buff and moisturise

First, buff your nails to remove any ridges. This will create a smooth even surface for your nail polish! Then moisturise your hands and nails.

Step 5: Base coat and polish

Apply the a clear base coat to your clean nails and allow this to dry completely. Then, carefully apply the polish of your choice to your nails and allow to dry for between 10 and 30 minutes, depending on how many coats of nail polish you have applied.

Step 6: The french tips

Once your polish has dried completely, you are ready to start your french tips. You can use clear band aids (for the straight and even look) or reinforcement labels (for the rounded french feel). Stick the band aid, or reinforcement label onto your nails so that only the tips of your nails are exposed. Paint over your tips using the colour of your choice and wait for the polish to dry. The slowly peel off the band aid or label.

Step 7: The final touch

Once you have removed the band aid or label, paint a final top coat of clear nail polish onto your nails to seal it all in.

Et voila, your DIY mani is done!