Chapter 1: A Happy Birthday

As the sun shined through the window and onto Astrid's face, her eyes slowly flickered open, admiring the vast landscapes that lay beyond the house's walls. The morning dew on the grass had a golden glow as the sunlight reflected off of them, and her brother, Arnost, was swinging on the wooden new swing set.

      Astrid rolled out of bed and got changed into her new teal sweater and some black jeans. She sleepily plodded to the bathroom and brushed her teeth, thinking about what her parents might have bought her for her birthday. She slogged down the stairs and was greeted by her family immediately making a barricade around the kitchen table.

      "Hey, Astrid. What are you doing up so late?" her brother asked. He might have had a smiled plastered across his face, but Astrid could tell, from the look in his ice-blue eyes, that it was her present on the kitchen table and that they did not plan to give them to her until they went out to dinner that night. It may not have been planned, but Astrid knew it was going to happen, as it did every year.

      "I know those are my presents behind you guys on that table," she chuckled when they stiffened at the sound of the word. "God, you guys are terrible liars. Maybe I should teach you guys someday, but, for now, I'll leave you to work on my birthday 'surprise'"she turned on her heel to go back to her room, her hands still in the air, formed into the quotations marks that she had put up to emphasize 'surprise'.

      When she heard the loud beep coming from the TV, she immediately turned around as it flickered on, red letters painted across the screen to form the words, hurricane warning.

A/N Hey guys, sorry for the short chapter, but if you read my description, you would know that all the chapters are gonna be like this.

Soooo....here are what the characters look like:

Astrid:

Arnost:

Arnost: