Chapter 5: Starting the Search

Astrid woke up when her head lightly thumped against the mirror of a partially submerged car. Her her flickered open as she treaded in the water, still heavy from exhaustion, and took in her surroundings. Her home was nowhere in sight. She started to panic, desperately grasping the mirror and climbing to sit on the car's roof, where Astrid hoped she would have a wider field of view. She still couldn't see the car. I guess I should have expected this, she thought, The current must have really carried me far away.

      She started looking for signs of if her brother might have here, looking in every nook and cranny of the piles of rubble that lay before her. Ughhh, she thought, restraining herself from crashing everything around her in frustration, I wish I could just find some sign of if he was alive or what happened- her stomach dropped. The toe of a blue shoe peeked out from underneath a pile of rubble. Beyond that, a finger stuck out from the ground. No, it can't be, can it? she thought to herself, hysterically trying to convince herself that that wasn't her brother; that he wasn't dead. But eventually, her brain defeated her heart in the war. The facts were right here. Astrid desperately started digging up the body, hoping that it wouldn't be her brother. Her face drained of all color. She leaned against a nearby tree, still clutching her brother's body, and buried her face into his platinum blond hair. She sat there, still clasping her brother's body, until her mind wrapped around everything that had just happened. She choked out a sob, and couldn't restrain herself from crying until her eyes had no liquid left in them.

A/N: Comment if the last part made you cry!! (It made my dad emotional after I showed it to him)