Chapter Four

"Auntie. Please stop crying." I said gently as I pulled her into a comforting embrace.

Today was the day I would be leaving their house. It had been a tiring week, but I had managed to find time to pack my belongings and prepare for my move to the new apartment.

"Mom. You can still visit her you know. She can handle herself, she's a strong independent woman." Ben assured his mother as he pats my head.

"Yah, stop treating me like a dog," I complained playfully, swatting his hand away.

"Arasso, arasso. Your Samcheon meticulously chose your apartment, making sure it was safe and comfortable. And please, no more complaints. This is a gift from us, so don't expect additional presents on special occasions," Aunt said, wiping away her tears.

Ben and his family were one of the wealthiest families in Korea. My uncle was the CEO of a renowned clothing brand, and their ownership extended to several food chain branches. So, financial concerns were far from their reality.

"Arasso. Please extend my gratitude to Tito. I've already inconvenienced you so much since my arrival here," I smiled gratefully, embracing them both once again.

"Melody, I'll let you borrow my car. Just drive safely, okay? Return it on Monday before heading to work," Ben handed me his car keys.

"Jinjja?! Omoo. Kamsahamnida!" I hugged him tightly, accepting the keys with excitement.

"Do you want a car, Melody? I can have your uncle arrange-" Aunt began, reaching for her phone.

"Yah, Auntie. Stop spoiling me. I'll get my own car someday. I'm perfectly fine taking the bus, and I know Ben will let me borrow his car when I truly need it," I winked at Ben, sharing a laugh.

"Fine. But remember, if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask. The front desk has your keys; they were already informed of your arrival. Just show them your ID," Aunt reminded me.

"Yah, don't take advantage of my kindness. It's getting late now. Your belongings are already in the car," Ben exclaimed, returning to his game of Mario Kart.

"Arasso. I'm leaving. I'll give you a call once I arrive," I bid farewell, making my way out of the house. The guards greeted me, and as I left, a mix of emotions washed over me. I would surely miss this place.

I got into the car, turning on the music to set the mood. With the address typed into my KakaoMap application, I buckled my seat belt, ready for the journey ahead. 

Christmas was just around the corner, and although I didn't personally celebrate it, I still enjoyed the spirit of giving. This would be my first Christmas in Korea, and my plan was to stay at home and spend the day reading books with Snow, my British white cat. However, she was currently at the vet due to some unusual behavior the other day.

As soon as I arrived at the apartment building, I was in awe. It was massive and exuded an air of luxury. I approached the front desk and presented my ID.

"Annyeong hasseyo. Uhm..." I greeted the receptionist as I showed her my ID. She smiled and made a brief call in Korean before hanging up.

"Annyeong hasseyo. We've been expecting you, Miss Melody. We'll accompany you to your apartment. The bellhops will assist with your luggage. Shall we?" She explained, leading the way to the elevator.

"Your apartment is located on the 16th floor, Miss. Here's your card key. The door is password protected. As a new tenant, you'll need to swipe this card to activate it. We will enter our password first, and then you can set your own. In case you ever forget your password, simply give us a call, and we'll reformat your security key for you. Pets are allowed, and you can also order food to be delivered." she explained, and I made sure to make a mental note of all the things she was saying.

"There's no curfew since this building is exclusive only, to let's just say rich and famous people. Some famous artists live here because this building was strict in terms of allowing people from just barging in the building," she further explained, maintaining her friendly smile throughout.

"Arasso. Kamsahamnida," I replied gratefully. The elevator doors opened, and we proceeded towards my apartment.

I swiped the card as instructed, and the employee entered the password she had explained earlier.

"Your uncle chose apartment number 1068. It is one of our finest units. The furniture is complete, and everything you need is ready, except for the food since we are unsure of your preferences. Enjoy your stay here, Miss," she smiled once again and left.

"Annyeong!" I exclaimed as I opened the door, and the lights automatically illuminated the space.

"Daebak! This is truly incredible," I murmured in awe. Without wasting a moment, I dialed Aunt's number after closing the door.

"Auntie! I'm already here. Yah, this is too much. Will I really be living here alone? This place is hugeeee..." I expressed, exploring every corner of the apartment. It consisted of three rooms, one on the second-floor area and two downstairs. There was even a private library corner. The living room and the kitchen were parallel to each other. I couldn't help but love it.

"Blame your uncle; you know how generous he is when it comes to you," Aunt explained on the other end of the line.

"Aigoo. I'll find a way to repay you someday. Thank you, Tita, truly," I expressed my gratitude as I sank into the couch.

"Silly. There's no need for that. It's nothing compared to what your parents did for us. Rest well now. I'm hanging up. Take care." Yes, all of this was made possible because of them. I ended the call and looked around in silence. I had never been bothered by solitude or silence, but for some reason, tears welled up in my eyes today.

Eomma, am I finally free from Abeoji?

Aish. Melody, stop being so dramatic, I scolded myself. My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the doorbell ringing.

I made my way to the door and opened it. My luggage was being carried by a middle-aged man wearing glasses, accompanied by a young man in his twenties.

"Annyeonghaseyo. Your luggage, miss," they politely handed over the bags.

"Kamsahamnida. Uh, I'm sorry I can't offer you anything tonight. I just moved in, so..." I wanted to invite them inside to express my gratitude, but I had no food or drinks to offer.

"It's okay, Miss. You don't have to worry about that," they assured me with warm smiles.

"Okay. Thank you. Kamsahamnida. Annyeong," I smiled back at them, and they waved goodbye before leaving.

That's right, I need to go to the mall tomorrow and buy groceries. I should also remember to get something to show my appreciation to them. I unpacked my belongings and chose the room on the second floor as my sleeping quarters for tonight. It was the simplest of the three rooms. I snuggled into bed, closing my eyes.

Why do I have this nagging feeling that tomorrow will be an exhausting day?