Chapter Eight

NOT EDITED

IGNORE ALL GRAMMAR AND SPELLING MISTAKES

PLEASE LEAVE ME FEEDBACK!

Today is the first day of the KR Program. It has been a few days since I have gone to the city and a few weeks since my parents talked to me. Yesterday, I got my letter from the program telling me the dates, times, and location. I am to report the the fourth building on the Seventh Street, from five in the morning until five in the evening. I have to attend everyday for three month. Only a quarter of the year might seem too short to learn about getting a job to you, but the government is just trying to get us off the streets into a job as fast as they can.

I didn't have to wake up very early this morning. I got up around four-thirty, ate my small breakfast, took my teeth cleansing pill, and got dressed in my daily uniform. Today would be the absolute, worst day to mess up the dress code.

Heading down my street and into the city, I passed many empty buildings, and others who looked around the same age as me. We all headed down to Seventh Street and stopped behind the line forming outside the fourth building. As the line got shorter I could see the entrance to the building. The black sign above the single door, had the words Kelsler Regulation Program printed on it. The KR Program.

After waiting in line for an eternity I stepped through the doorway. Multiple guards lined the walls and a small amount headed towards a boy in front of me. They hauled him towards the center of the room. One guard pulled up his pant legs to reveal a match set of shoes, but two different socks. He is screwed.

A woman stepped out of another room and into ours. She handed him a slip of paper.

"Regulation number one ladies and gentlemen, not following any law will get you kicked out of this program and you will be sent to the worst possible job available," She headed over to the boy, point at the paper in his hand, she continued, "This paper is this boys new location," She signaled something to the men next to her and they removed the boy from the building.

The rest of us were shoved into a larger room with a lot of chairs and desks. The desks were fairly large with a small glass surface in the middle. After choosing a seat another woman came around to each desk asking our name and house number. She tapped the glass on the desk and the information she had just heard was displayed. I guess these were our assigned seats for the rest of the month. Scanning the room I saw Dakota in the front row and Brandon a few seats away from her.

The same lady who talked to us a few moments before headed to the front of the room.

"Hello, my name is Cathy Steins, you will all address me as Instructor and the other workers as ma'am or sir. I work for the government, but I have been sent to your city to teach you about the jobs you will receive after completing this program. I will also be the one choosing who will get what job. I will be watching each of you very closely each day. I don't make my decisions based on test scores alone, so be on your best behavior at all times even outside these doors.

After our Instructor gave us a detailed description on what constitutes good behavior she passed around a packet of paper. After gazing over the front page I realized that is was a test. I was supposed to choose an answer for each question and circle the number. The questions were mostly about our nation's laws and many, many rules. After finishing most of the pages I came across a page with no questions. Reading the top I was instructed to separate the last page from the rest of the packet and put it under my desk. I did as I was told ad then continued reading the instructions. To turn in my answers all I had to do was tap the glass in the corner of my desk, called the log, and the Instructor would pick up my test. Good, make her walk to me.

When everyone had their test collected a few hours had passed and more test were passed out that evaluated our abilities and asked questions about family and friends.

Tapping the log the Instructor grabbed my sheet of paper, but didn't give me another one. I guess I'm done. Glancing at the clock, I realized I only had about ten minutes until my first day of the program was over. The Instructor headed back to the front to the room. She organized the final tests then turned to the class.

"Today your parents are being  told a bit of news and being let out of work to gather your things. We are going to let you know here so you can be prepared. The government has decided to move all citizens living outside the city in a house into the vacant building inside the city. We will be removing the houses and using that land for other purposes. All the empty buildings have been turned into apartments with enough furniture. The page you were told to put under your desk should have your name on it with your new address and apartment number. Please move in as quickly as you can and thank you for a great start to the KR Program this year."

_____________________________________________________________________

PLEASE COMMENT!  I broke my keyboard so my updates will be limited until I can get it fixed. Thanks for reading vote/like follow and all that stuff.