Chapter Ten

Not Edited

NOT EDITED

__________________________________

Over the past few weeks I have gotten accustomed to waking up in a small apartment. It's pretty similar to my old house, but there is only two bedrooms, one bathroom, and a kitchen. I've been scoping out the apartment buildings after the KR Program each night and each of the seven floors has ten apartments, all the same. I'm in room thirty-seven putting me on the fourth floor.

The first day everyone arrived we found our rooms, got out keys, and unpacked the few item we had. Each room came with furniture. The bathroom has a sink, toilet, and shower. The bedrooms has one bed and one dresser. The last room, the kitchen, has a table, a closed shelf to store frozen food or drinks, pantry, and a closet with a washer and a box to instantly heat our food. 

After we had settled in officers brought schedules to each family. Each floor had a different routine. The first floor got their rations on Monday, the second floor went on Tuesday, and so on. The first three floors took showers in the morning and the last four floors took theirs at nighttime. Every family was to clean their uniforms on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday.

Every day I go to the KR Program, make dinner, leave the apartments for a few hours, take a shower and do laundry. Even I have a routine, even for someone who hates everything being the same.

Today is Thursday, flour four's ration day. My ration day. My parents have been letting, well more of making me get the rations each week, to make me show obedience and maturity. Yeah, okay. I'll go after I get home from the program, I do need to talk to Carol about this Anthony character. Throwing on my uniform and putting my long, black hair into a tight bun and head to the elevator. Looking around in the elevator I see some people I know from being in the KR Program, but they all stand straight and look forward waiting for the doors to open.

My apartment building sits on Fifth Street, so I usually take Forth Street all the way to Seventh Street at the other side of town. I usually reach the program after quite a bit of walking, but I'm always on time.

After sitting in my usual desk I wave to Brandon and Dakota since we had to move into the city. I know they saw me dragging Anthony away, I should probably talk to them about that. The program starts at five in the morning each day and it ends at five each night. It was already two until five and the Instructor is standing at the front of the class.

"Today we will be learning about each student, personally," She nodded to the helpers after addressing the class.

Whoa, that's different than our usually class day, we usually talk about jobs.

The helpers hand out personalty, 'Get To Know YOU!' packets and our Instructor also lets us know that their will be an interview for each student. Giving about twenty minutes for each interview. The Instructor stands her list looking for the first name.

"Jacqueline Rivera."

My interview was pretty uneventful, she asked about my home life, parent's jobs, and what I do outside the program.The most interesting question she asked was about my run ins with the officer. I told her a generic response about being immature and how it won't happen again, even though it most likely will.

Unlocking the door to my home and throwing my key on the table, I head to my pantry and grab the bread and butter we get in our weekly rations. After eating I leave again, remembering to grab my rations card and lock the door. The Ration Service is on the street next to mine making the walk painless. This time when the officer swipes my card he lets me in without hesitation. I stand in line, grab a bin, put it on the moving machine and give the worker my card.

I can see Carol in the line next to mine. Walking over to me she points to an empty chair. I put my bin down, sit , and wait. After waiting for a while someone comes to take her place and she finally comes to talk to me.

"Hi Jackie, it has been a few weeks hasn't it? Well, why did come visit me?" Carol questions raising one eyebrow. I wish I could do that.

"I met someone."

"OH, is he handsome? Did you meet him in that school you have to go to?"

"No, no, it's not like that. I met someone interesting who said something confusing."

"Well dear what did he say?" Carol leaned forward to look at me waiting to hear this little fragment of information.

"He was saying things about why we were moved from our homes, that the government has cameras spying on us, and army bases are replacing where we used to live. He was probably crazy, that crazy, right?"

"No, it does not. There are cameras in our homes and I can believe we were move so military bases can be built. Look I need to head home if you wanna talk I live on Third Street, its room seven in the seventh building."

"Okay, I hope I can see you soon," I say as Carol walks away.

I don't think she is someone who makes assumptions without thoroughly thinking it over, but if these things are true why would the government be it doing now?

________________________________________________

Trying to make up for my late updates so here is two in a row. PLEASE PLEASE leave me feedback I need it. Hopefully this chapter is slightly longer.

Thanks for reading and I promise the action will pick up very soon.