Chapter 0 4: Monster

- Three Weeks Later -

"Haru, come on! Its cold, and we still have like, forever to go!" Rei pouted at his still sleepy companion, who simply pouted at him, her feet dragging as she struggled to keep up.

"You could have given me five more minutes to wake up." Haruka grumbled, "But noooo. I haven't even had anything to eat yet..."

"You can eat when we get back. And you'd been up for an hour before I got there, your cousin said so! Lazy girl!" he laughed at her, before stepping back to grab her arm, tugging her gently along. She clung to him like her life depended on it, pressing especially close so that she could keep heat.

"Anyone ever tell you how yummy you smell?" Haruka asked absently, sniffing the air around the boy, "Kind of spicy, but really sweet, too. Kind of like, if I had to put a scent to the word Christmas, you'd be the smell."

His lips twitched as he glanced down at her, his arm winding around her shoulders. "Christmas, huh? So I'm only seasonal?"

"Nah! You're year 'round, Rei!" She grinned at him, reaching up to gently pat his cheek. They both froze, though, when they heard a voice- one that was fantastically familiar to the girl.
Removing herself from Rei's arm, Haruka shuffled over to the nearby path- it wasn't on their usual running route, but it wasn't that far away, either. And what she saw made her frown.

"...That's not the only reason though, All Might." Izuku was saying, looking down as he spoke to a blonde man, "I have a friend. My best friend. She's...she's a ghoul. And because of that, sometimes I forget that she's my friend. Sometimes, I think she's just a monster. So, I want to become a hero to protect her from others...but also to protect others from her. Because of the monster that I sometimes see."

Haruka didn't hear the man's reply, nor did she hear what Rei was saying to her as he tried to pull her away. He knew who this boy was, and what he meant to the silverette. Which meant he knew how much his words pained the girl.
Before she knew it herself, her feet were moving towards the duo, lips trembling as she struggled to hold her tears in. Clenching her left hand into a fist, she brought it up fast, connecting her knuckles with his cheek, and following through with the punch.

"H-Haru?!" He yelped, stumbling back a bit from the impact, holding his already swelling cheek and staring at her, shocked. The man stared at her as well, equally shocked.

"A monster, huh?" she croaked out, glaring hard at the boy, "You see me as a monster? You haven't seen a monster, Izuku, but since you already think you see one...maybe I'll give you a monster." Haruka's eyes shifted then, the blood red pupils glowing against the black of her eyes. "I'll give you someone that the people should fear." Turning on her heel, she stalked away, Rei readily on her heels, his arm returning around her shoulders.

"Are, uh, are you okay?"

"I want to go home."

"Of course, Haru. Come on."

° · ° · ° · ° · ° · ° ·

The next day at school, Haruka avoided the green haired boy like he carried the plague. She stuck close to Katsuki, which seemed to do wonders alone. And while the blonde boy didn't seem to care too much initially, by the time lunch rolled around, he finally questioned her.

"Cannibal, why the fuck are you hanging around me so much? Why aren't you hanging with that loser, Deku?" He scowled at her. Though, he flinched a bit when she returned his annoyed look with a completely blank expression of her own.

"I apologize. I didn't realize it was outlandish to want to spend time with another one of my friends." She noted the tick in his jaw, but before he could speak, the ghoul had risen from her seat, kicking the borrowed chair back to its proper place, and removed herself from the classroom. As with Izuku, she avoided the explosive blonde.

Closing herself off from the two most important people in her life- much like another ghoul she knew.